rodeoboy is offline Novice
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2007

Backend locking peridically

I have a 2003 database that has been split into a front end and backend. The front-end has been copied to all of the users computers and the backend has been saved to a network drive that everyone has full access to.

We have been experiencing the database gets locked to where only on person can get in at one time. It always seemed to happen overnight so we were thinking it was tape backup doing. Once we restored back to the previous day it was fine. We have been running fine for a week or 2 and now it locked during the day.

I had everyone exit and still only one person at time can get in. I dont want to restore back to the previous day cause there was a lot of inputting done today.

Any ideas why this could be happening and how do I resolve it without restoring back to the previous day?

Sincerely,
    Rodeoboy

Dal Jeanis is offline VIP
    Windows 7 32bit Access 2010 32bit
    What are the specific error messages that the second user gets?

Quote Originally Posted by Dal Jeanis View Post
    What are the specific error messages that the second user gets?
    Could not use '\\servername\Database_BE\databasename; file already in use.

Sincerely,
    Rodeoboy

From http://support.microsoft.com/kb/289681

If a user opens a database and doesn't have create rights for the folder in which the database is located, the Microsoft Jet database engine can't create the locking information file (*.ldb in Access 2003 and in earlier versions of Access and *.laccdb in Access 2007) that is necessary for multiple users to open the database. Therefore, a user who doesn't have create rights opens the database exclusively if a corresponding .ldb file or .laccdb file does not already exist.
    So, check everybody's create rights to the folder the BE database is on.

Checked everyones rights and they all have full rights to the database.

Rodeoboy

ItsMe is offline Sometimes Helpful
    Windows XP Access 2003
    If you change the folder settings, you can view hidden files and their extensions.

When a 2003 .mdb file is opened another file is created. The .ldb file represents the users who are connected.

Sometimes, this file remains behind if a .mdb file is closed unexpectedly.

I would suggest logging everyone off and seeing if this .ldb file or the newer version equivalent is still there. It should disappear when everyone is logged off. If it is there, create a folder next to it and move it into the folder.

You can practice with a DB copy in your mydocuments folder to see how it behaves.
    It has been a while since I have had that symptom but it sounds vaguely familiar.

KathyL is offline Advanced Beginner
    Windows 7 Access 2007
    I would think you have the Access DB configured correctly, but check the 'Default Open Mode' to see if it's Shared or Exclusive (just to see if something is changing it).

I rarely restore a database from tape. I work with mine so much, I usually have kept a copy in a backup folder. And of course, my development is in a development copy on another drive. When there is a network problem or data corruption, I can go back to the most recent good copy, and import tables from the current production copy to replace old data with current data.

KathyL is offline Advanced Beginner
    Windows 7 Access 2007
    Another thought... you might try De-compiling the Access database, close, and then open in normal mode, and go into design mode on some form, then to the code module, and compile. This whole process removes all VB code, and the recompile places back good code. I've had this fix a number of similar problems and users then can all get back in.

ItsMe is offline Sometimes Helpful
    Windows XP Access 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by KathyL View Post
    I would think you have the Access DB configured correctly, but check the 'Default Open Mode' to see if it's Shared or Exclusive (just to see if something is changing it).
    I was thinking that too but thought the message to the user says the db is "locked". I really don't remember.

Thanks for all of the replies back. We decided to leave the database closed for the whole night and this morning all is good again. This leads me to looking at the Novell OES 11 software now. My guess is that for some reason it had the database locked. I will check the other ideas all of you presented as well. I'll post back when I find the culprit.

Sincerely,
    Rodeoboy

The Novell forum replied to the question and posted that I needed to turn off Oplocks on the server and File Cache on each of the Workstations. So far so good.

Sincerely,
    Rodeoboy

Huzzah!

WHen you fell confident, please mark the thread "solved". top of page, under "thread tools".

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.