RingoStarr is offline Novice
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2013

Can't go to specific record after opening form in design view.

My database was working fine and suddenly when I open VBA it throws everything out of wack. I haven't changed anything in VBA so not sure what's causing the problem. My database is built off a sample work order database. It is supposed to open a work order form based off the customers form. After viewing my code in VBA I get a message box that says can't go to specific record and the only thing I have been able to do at this point is load a backup of the DB and start over. The other day I lost about three days worth of work because that was the first time this error occurred. Anyone have any idea what could be causing this? I've put a lot of work into this database but it doing this makes me nervous to use it.

Dal Jeanis is offline VIP
    Windows 7 32bit Access 2010 32bit
    First, don't panic. You're okay, and getting better.

Second, very well done for backing up your database early and often. Three days is fairly fresh, as these things go. If you're implementing frequent code changes, then back up daily or several times a day.

Third, consider following this practice: I make it a practice to do my coding/testing in a junk version of the database, then porting only the working code changes into the real production database. That way, any random futzing and fumbling I might do does not end up accidentally incorporated into the production database. And, when I describe what I did, I know absolutely that no other changes were made in passing and promptly forgotten.

Fourth, to analyze what is wrong with the database, here's your next steps.

1) Back up your database that had the problem. This is so that you have a fresh copy if you make a real mistake.

2) Do the following in a **test** copy of the problem database. Open the database, and do the minimum number of steps you can think of to cause the error to occur.

3) Post the exact error message here.

4) When you post the error message, make sure you also post the exact code, if any, that's throwing the error.

Then we can look at the issue and figure out what your next analysis steps are.

Ok, I've made a copy of the database. The only steps I take to cause the error are

1) Open the form "workorders"
    2) Go in design view
    3) Open VBA

That's it. I don't make any changes at all, I don't even save the changes to the form. But after I go into VBA for some reason it goes haywire. Afterwards, when I open the workorders form, I get a message box says "You can't go to the specified record." It doesn't throw an error code at all, but I believe that's error 2105.

Good idea doing all your coding in a junk database. Today all I had to do was remove an email address from a SendObject cmd so I didn't worry about it. That was when I realized that going into VBA was what was causing this to occur. I've tried it on several copies of the database now and everytime, entering VBA is what causes it. It doesn't make sense to me.

Missinglinq is offline VIP
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2007
    Richmond (Virginia, not North Yorkshire!)
    Here are some articles on Corruption by Allen Browne, a leading expert on Access. They include advice on prevention as well as recovery:

Allen Browne on Preventing Corruption
    http://allenbrowne.com/ser-25.html

Allen Brown on Recovering from Corruption
    http://allenbrowne.com/ser-47.html

More Allen Brown: The Recovery Sequence
    http://allenbrowne.com/recover.html

Linq ;0)>
    The problem with making anything foolproof...is that fools are so darn ingenious!

All posts/responses based on Access 2003/2007

Good info Missinglinq, I probably needed to do some of those things a long time ago. After importing the data into a new database it does seem to have cleared up the problem. I'm still a little concerned there is still some underlying issue that might cause it to reoccur. I did everything else too but the only thing that cleared it was starting a new database. Regardless, it seems to be working now, thanks a bunch!

If the corruption recovery process doesn't handle it, then check back.

I see a number of articles out there that suggest ways this can happen. It may be that your form code has always been "wrong" and that opening VBA has allowed Access to finally notice the problem. Check to see what your form is actually doing when the form opens. Is it trying to move to a record? Does that record exist?
    https://www.accessforums.net/forms/n...ror-18104.html
    https://www.accessforums.net/forms/r...-go-25352.html

Well, this solution worked for a while but my database is back to doing the same thing. It seems worst than before actually. This sucks... I'll post a copy of the DB on here, maybe someone will be able to figure out something I've done wrong.

Nevermind, my file is too big. If anyone has any other suggestions I'd be grateful.

You can post (temporarily) on a filesharing site and post a link to that here.

Missinglinq is offline VIP
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2007
    Richmond (Virginia, not North Yorkshire!)
    Quote Originally Posted by RingoStarr View Post

...this solution worked for a while but my database is back to doing the same thing...
    So you apparently have recurring corruption. Have you reviewed Allen's advice on preventing corruption? The bit
    turning off Name AutoCorrect is especially important.

I don't think we've asked, but is this being used in a Multi-user environment? If so, is it split into a Front End/Back End configuration, with a copy of the Front End on each user's machine?

Linq ;0)>
    The problem with making anything foolproof...is that fools are so darn ingenious!

All posts/responses based on Access 2003/2007

Right now the database is only being used on one computer. It was originally created in access 2007 and moved to 2013. It had a couple issues initially after the move but I got those resolved. Been using it for a couple months now with no issues until this out of the blue. The database isn't split. Assuming I've followed the previous instructions correctly, the Name AutoCorrect is turned off too.

Here is a link to the database. This is my first database and it's completely likely there's a simple error that I'm unable to identify.

http://www.4shared.com/file/a3q88a6t...DB_-_Copy.html

I also have it password protected but I can give you the password in a PM. I really appreciate the help.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.