Mtyetti2 is offline Novice
    Windows 8 Access 2010 64bit

Vehicle Mileage Database

I am have been stuck on how to log vehicle mileage for a database which includes several vehicles. I have a 'vehicle' table, and an 'event' table. My Event table populates with all the needed items, but what I end up with is a table with mixed vehicles and mileages. What I would like is to be able to have a text box on my Vehicle form which obtains the latest mileage (hence the most current) for that particular vehicle. Should this be done through a query? Can a query result populate a text box? I hope this makes sense, as I am fairly new to this forum. Thank you so much!

alansidman is offline VIP
    Windows 7 32bit Access 2010 32bit
    I think that you can do this with an unbound text box on your form employing the Dmax or Dlookup functions. Here is a link on the syntax
    http://www.techonthenet.com/access/f...omain/dmax.php
    http://www.techonthenet.com/access/f...in/dlookup.php

ssanfu is offline Master of Nothing
    Windows XP Access 2000
    I would tend to use VBA and push the mileage into the text box.

Your question got me looking and I found a MDB (A2K) I made in 2001 (ish). Only the 1985 has data. I was trying to learn and keep track of miles per gallon.

OK, get back up in the chair and quit laughing

Mtyetti2 is offline Novice
    Windows 8 Access 2010 64bit
    alansidman,

I think DMax may be my answer. Here's what I have, but I'm struggling with the 'criteria' portion.

TxtBox = DMax("TachIn", "Event", "VehicleID = [Forms]![Event]![Vehicle]")

I think that should give me the maximum Tach number, which would be what I want. When I run that, it flashes (like it's constantly calculating) and shows #Error. I need the expression to know which vehicle I'm selecting from an associated combo box, but I'm stuck on how to do that. Thanks so much!

alansidman is offline VIP
    Windows 7 32bit Access 2010 32bit
    Is your control Vehicle in the form Event, a string value or a numerical value? This will make a difference. If it is a string value, then you will need to enclose that in single quotes.

TxtBox = DMax("TachIn", "Event", "VehicleID = '[Forms]![Event]![Vehicle]'")

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/office/aa172181(v=office.11).aspx

DHOW is offline Novice
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 32bit
    I'm having similar trouble in designing my Vehicle Expense datbase.

I have a mileage table that holds the vehicle names and ending mileage and begining mileage. Im trying to create a form where the Driver only has to enter the ending mileage and the begining mileage will auto populate after he selects the vehicle.

I decided to enter the code in the form for the control source for begining mileage text box. Using this code:
    =DMax("[Mileage]![Ending Mileage]","[Mileage]","[id]= & '[Forms]![mileage details]![vehicle]'")

When i open it form view the text box already has the "#Error" and after selecting a vehicle it blinks and returns the value "#Error" again and this goes for each vehicle.

Not sure what i need to change to allow the driver to come in see a blank form then select a vehicle and the form puts in the last mileage recored for the vehicle selected.

Any help?

ssanfu is offline Master of Nothing
    Windows XP Access 2000
    Welcome to the forum, DHOW.

First a word on etiquette. You have "Hi-jacked" this thread by posting your question in a thread started someone else. You should start your own thread and reference this thread (or one that is similar - if there is one).

Soooo.....
    You have this in the control source of a control:
    Code:
    =DMax("[Mileage]![Ending Mileage]","[Mileage]","[id]= & '[Forms]![mileage details]![vehicle]'")
    1) If the vehicle ID is a number, the syntax should be:
    Code:
    =DMax("[Ending Mileage]","[Mileage]","[id]= " & [Forms]![mileage details]![vehicle])
    2) Putting this in the control source property of a control will only display the value on the form. The control will be unbound - the previous ending mileage will NOT be saved in the table.
    3) To save the previous ending mileage, I would have code in the form before update event to push the previous ending mileage into a hidden control bound to the beginning mileage field.
    The code would look something like
    Code:
    Private Sub Form_BeforeUpdate(Cancel As Integer)
       Me.BeginMileage = DMax("[Ending Mileage]", "[Mileage]", "[id]= " & [Forms]![mileage details]![Vehicle])
    End Sub
    where "BeginMileage" is the name of the control bound to the beginning mileage field.

Or you can take a look on how I set up my mileage mdb.......see my previous post.( shameless plug)

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.