tzmyo is offline Novice
    Windows 7 32bit Access 2010 32bit

Access table linked to excel - field size problem

I have to create a access table linked to an excel sheet in which some columns contain texts and some contain number(without decimals). In access table, fields size of columns that correspond to columns containing numbers in excel are set to "double". But I need that fields to be in "long integer" as I need to export that access table to a third party software where only columns with text and "long integer" values are accepted. Any way to set the column format in excel so that they will appear as "long integer" in access? Thanks.

June7 is online now VIP
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 32bit
    Apparently not. I think Access insists on using the most accommodating number type when linking, so any number type entered to the spreadsheet will be allowed. This is probably because Excel doesn't have number types, just formatting.

However, importing allows designation of other number types. Your best bet is probably to import into table, do what you need to with data then delete table or just purge the records and use table for the next import.
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.