Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    KathyL is offline Advanced Beginner
    Windows 8 Access 2007
    With the overnight test, it failed.
    We couldn't get any help from our remote network professionals as they knew less that I or my local network guy learned. I finally came to the conclusion, I was beating my head against the wall. Windows scheduled tasks just is not reliable (on our Terminal Server, Windows Server 2003) and the Domain policy or assignment of my user name to the scheduled task security, with full control, wasn't reliable either.

I wasted enough time on this, and decided one morning to write my own Scheduler. I did so, using MS Access 2007. It's been running beautifully since last week, hasn't missed a beat. I also have coded a Timer event in one of my regular databases which monitors the status of my scheduled events, and if they lapse for over 6 hours, I send a popup alert to a key User. This was done in case of a power outage or server outage and my own Scheduler gets disrupted.

I'm off to other work now after solving the problem myself.

Kathy
    Access I.T. Consultant

June7 is offline VIP
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 32bit
    Would you like to share the specifics of your Scheduler? Could even post it in a thread in Tutorials.
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

KathyL is offline Advanced Beginner
    Windows 8 Access 2007
    LOL, I don't see it as a 'solved' Windows Scheduler issue, but I went with the 'there's 2 ways to skin the cat' and wrote a program myself. LOL, again.

Here's a few details:
    - I have 3 Access databases outside my main application, which run about 36 processes... purges and downloads from an ODBC database, large queries to update various tables, etc.
    - These 3 DB's are scheduled over 8 times a day, because to include them in the main application, would just drag down our user network of about 55 users.
    - I created a table in one of my off-line processes where I store a date/time stamp record of any time any of the eight events completes. This came first because I was monitoring the Windows scheduled tasks and I needed to know if repeat tasks were executing, not just the last one. I link to this table from each of the 3 DB's.
    - I created an Access schedule monitor database, where I have one form, (so I could see quickly if I wanted to know), of the status of each of the 8 jobs. I have a table with 8 fields of when each should run (I can change on the fly), and the form matches the last run time to expected run time to display an on-time status, or a pending status. I use the Access Timer event to check every 15 minutes, and I execute a Shell command to execute the 3 Access database when the due time passes. And as I've said before, each of the 3 databases post a date/time stamp upon completion.
    - This Access schedule monitor DB runs all the time. When loaded, it opens my one monitor form.
    - This Access schedule monitor DB could get disrupted or terminated due to power outages or server failures. So, I wrote code in one of my main applications to check my date/time stamp table, and if it gets outdated by no records being posted over 6 hours, I send a popup alert to the User to ask him/her to notify the Administrator. This check is also done with a Timer event.

That's a quick summary.

ItsMe is offline Sometimes Helpful
    Windows XP Access 2003
    I was thinking no news is good news. Instead, I see you have been busy grabbing the bull by the horns.

I may be over at a 2003 server in a few weeks. This has sparked my curiosity.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.