siggybaby_18 is offline Novice
    Windows 7 32bit Access 2010 32bit

Linked Table Manager issue

Good day, All. I would appreciate some guidance on a Linked Table Manager issue.

I have created two databases located on a shared drive that only my managers have access to (the shared drive) – one database is intended for managers which stores all the data – and the other is intended for employees’ data entries which is linked to and feeds the data into the manager’s database via the Linked Table Manager feature. Because employees don’t have full access to the shared drive, I created and granted access to a specific folder on the shared drive for them which now has only the employee database in that folder (and a shortcut which I will use to put on the desktops of our employee kiosks.

Now here’s the problem: when I test the employee database from my computer (logged on as the generic user that we use to logon on our kiosks), I am able to open the employee database; but when I log on to my computer as myself (as one of the managers), the employee database shows an error where it can’t located the manager’s database that it’s linked to. What’s even crazy is when I update the path (still logged on as manager) and refresh the links, it works ----- but then the generic user gets the same error when they try to open it after the manager refreshed the path. I know it sounds confusing, but it’s almost like one user refreshing the links cancels out the links for the other user.

I am sure there is an easy way to remedy this or even do all of this from one database with security in place, but I am not that Access-literate YET! Help!!!!!!!!!!

June7 is offline VIP
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 32bit
    Are these split db's? Does each user have their own copy of front end on their computer or does everyone open the same file?

Are you using drive path for the links? Does each user have the same drive mapping?

Use UNC (Universal Naming Convention) path and the drive mapping is irrelevant.
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

ssanfu is offline Master of Nothing
    Windows XP Access 2000
    and a shortcut which I will use to put on the desktops of our employee kiosks
    Do you have the dB split into a front end (FE) and a back end (BE)?

Each user should have a copy of the FE on their desktop, should not have everyone open the same dB that is located on the server; that is a recipe for disaster.

Test Reply to June 7
    Last edited by siggybaby_18; 09-10-2013 at 06:55 AM. Reason: Test Reply to June 7

Good morning, June7: Neither two is split. The second one is linked to the first, and that's about it. Currently the way I have it, everyone will be opening the same file. And I don't believe I use drive paths or UNC (I can't recall doing anything like that in the database). Each user does have access to their respective folder (which I am assuming is not the drive path issue that you are referencing, correct?).

Hey, SSanfu: I have done this now (I now have back-end and front-end databases). Now, for the front-end database, I want to password protect allowing ANY changes from any user. I will setup the queries, forms, and reports, and I need to be the only one changing any of it. Additionally, I want to hide the navigation menu altogether and want to password protect it from anyone trying to unhide it or any other forms, reqports, etc. Any help is appreciated.

ssanfu is offline Master of Nothing
    Windows XP Access 2000
    I want to hide the navigation menu altogether
    I have/still using A2000, but I think you can hide the database window in A2010 by going to FILE/OPTIONS. Somewhere there is a check box to hide/not show the db window.

I want to password protect allowing ANY changes from any user. I will setup the queries, forms, and reports, and I need to be the only one changing any of it.
    The only way I know of is to create an ACCDE. Be sure to keep a BU of your original dB.

Try creating a test dB first to understand what is happening.
    Once you create an ACCDE, no one can make changes - you need the original database to make any changes.

OK, got all of that fixed ... now for some reason the front end user on our shared drive is only updating to my back up database on my desktop! Rather it should update to the back end user tables on a folder located on the same drive. I tried refreshing the link manager, but THEN it gives me a blank screen on my forms. WTH?

June7 is offline VIP
    If each user now has an individual copy of the frontend residing on their computer (in my office it sits at their C:\ root location), need to use UNC pathing for the table links. Otherwise, every user would need an identical Windows drive mapping setup for the frontend to find the backend.

If each user is opening the same frontend file, then just set the links to the backend on the server.
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

What does this error mean?
    Attached Files Attached Files

June7 is offline VIP
    What error? Do you mean the yellow triangle with ! mark?

I don't use macros, only VBA and also never used TempVars. Not even going to try a guess.

This worked. Thanks much!

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.