chronister is offline Novice
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 64bit

Looking for input / opinions on current DB system

Hello all.

I have posted here a few times looking for some basic information. I am now asking for the help of a couple of folks who REALLY know their MS Access stuff. I would like a couple people to critique this application for me and look at it on the front end and back end and give me any suggestions you can. I am a volunteer with my local Humane society. I am trying to build them a database application that will allow them to track the animals from intake to disposition (outake or whatever you wanna call it). It is designed to track all movements (in shelter, off-site event, in foster, adopted etc) of the animal, along with detailed medical information and where the animal went. I have most of this put together and it is about 95% where I want it, but I know it can be much better (and faster). So anyone who helps me will be helping an animal shelter track and manage their animals much more efficiently. Good karma points. lol

This has a front end and back end. I have pieced together a system that uses batch files to allow me to run this from a mapped Z: drive and keep my end users updated (end users will use this remotely over VPN. They have front end, and connect to back end). So any increase in speed and efficiency with this is helpful.

I am not a skilled MS Access developer and have learned much of what has become of this along the way. I have the ultimate desire to move this application to MS SQL server or something similar, and ULTIMATELY (hopefully I can learn how to do it ... ) build this into an EXE with Visual Basic (or any suggestions you folks may have).

I would first like to find a couple volunteers who can help me, and then I can send the files or we can work that out.... this currently has live data with personal information for other volunteers at the Animal Shelter and adoption information, do not adopt list... etc, so I have to be careful about what information I give, but cannot really give you an empty database and expect you to see all the pieces properly and be able to give me suggestions.

Here is a screenshot of the mainpage and the main animals page to give a preview of what we're looking at. I sincerely appreciate anyone who can help me out.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	hsfc_screenshot.jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	93.6 KB 
ID:	13823

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	screenshot_animalMainPage.jpg 
Views:	10 
Size:	80.2 KB 
ID:	13822

Thanks in advance for any help you can give me with this, and I look forward to hearing the opinions of the experts.

Nathan

Dal Jeanis is offline VIP
    Windows XP Access 2010 32bit
    Hi Nathan. I might be able to look at it.

Hmmm. Lots of people seem to have this kind of issue. I wonder if anyone has a name-scrambler routine they'd like to post? I've had one at previous jobs, to take live data and sanitize it. Basically, you map each letter onto a different letter, in such a way that the data cannot be reconsituted with a reverse transform, because multiple source letters have been mapped onto the same destination letter. Same with numbers, ages, birthdates. Dollar amounts you just randomize.

chronister is offline Novice
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 64bit
    I think I can actually get away with just copying the backend db, and making sure peoples information is not in there, but I don't think the animals themselves are too concerned with their privacy. That will mean that some things will not be there, but that is not a huge worry.

It is not something I want to just give out to anyone, but I don't think it will be too much of a problem. Lemme see if I can clear out as much as I can and I may be able to send you a copy.

Forewarning.... it is designed to only run on a Z drive... I would like to maybe change that, but since it will be used by folks inside the shelter and outside the shelter, I needed a way to KNOW where the program was to be located for all the supporting files (links to publisher and word docs... with more integration to come).

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.