swingtones is offline Novice
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2013

Using a Combo box in a query without the Enter Parameter Value dialog popping up

Hi ,
    I have a fairly simple database (Access 2013) with 2 tables, 1 for Suppliers and the other for Products.
    I have set up a form to handle the various standard queries. One of these is to identify products from the Products Table by product
    category.
    I set up the query with the fields I wanted to display and then created a combo box on the queries form and a Run Query button.

The combo box contains a list of the product categories, and the process is to select a category from the populated list in the combo box, click the Run Query button and the query is then to run and open in datasheet display showing the selected records.
    I have this working on a version of the database created about about a month ago which I took to a client to demonstrate.
    I then later added some additional fields and features to the master copy of the database and now when I run the query by clicking on the Run Query, I get the'Enter Parameter Value' Dialog Box popping up instead of the query opening. If I enter a valid category in the Dialog the query then opens as required.
    I have carried out a detailed comparison between the two versions and just can't find what is different about them that will cause one version to open correctly and the other not.
    I have looked very carefully at the Query, Run Query Button and Combo Box properties to compare the two versions but cannot find any differences. The Query SQL statements in both versions are identical.
    Any Ideas anyone ?

regards
    Ted

June7 is online now VIP
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 32bit
    Corruption.

Compact & Repair does not fix?

Do you have copy from before the modifications? Try doing the edits again.
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

Hi June 7,
    Thanks for the suggestion re Compact and Repair. I did try that but is made no difference.
    I created a new query in the ealier file version yesterday and that also worked fine.
    I then created a similar new query in the later file version and it still gave me the Parameter dialog

It seem that the combo box selection is just not being recognised when the query runs and I assume that it the reason the Parameter dialog displays, as the prg is waiting for an instruction

regards
    Ted

June7 is online now VIP
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 32bit
    The query in earlier version is also referencing combobox?

Post the SQL statement or provide db for analysis.
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

Quote Originally Posted by June7 View Post
    The query in earlier version is also referencing combobox?

Post the SQL statement or provide db for analysis.
    Problem solved.
    I ended up just copying and pasting the SQL statement from the earlier version into the revised version and it all works !

I don't know how many times I compared the two statements looking for differences and could not find any but obviously there must have been.

Thanks for your inputs - much appreciated
    regards
    Ted

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.