imorgan22 is offline Novice
    Windows 7 32bit Access 2010 32bit

Slow Form

I am using access for my budget system and it is very slow. The main form has several subforms and it takes a long time to display the form. Any suggestions on how to make this faster? I like access and find it flexible but my users are upset because of the speed. I keep telling them you can't expect to see all that information and the form will come up in seconds.

June7 is online now VIP
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 32bit
    I also have a couple of form/subforms arrangements that take longer than I would prefer for them to load. The subforms are distributed on pages of a tab control. The only options I can think to speed up would be to not load the subforms when the main form opens but to programmatically load them when page of tab control gets focus or to have the subforms open independently when needed which would make data synchronization more difficult.
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

imorgan22 is offline Novice
    Windows 7 32bit Access 2010 32bit
    I tried convincing them to do that but they want to see all the information at the same time. thanks for the suggestion thought. My main db is oracle. I changed all the table to oracle tables and tried using pass-through querys and it is even worse. anyone have any suggestions to make the queries run faster. maybe that would help speed it up.

Bob Fitz is offline Access Developer
    Windows XP Access 2003
    I found that the technique explained here http://www.granite.ab.ca/access/performanceforms.htm worked very well.
    If this helped, please click the star at the bottom left of this posting and add to my reputation . Many thanks.
    Bob Fitzpatrick

Bob Fitz is offline Access Developer
    Windows XP Access 2003
    Keeping an open connection to the back end can also help. See "Always Keep a Connection Open to the Back End Database While Your Application Runs" at: http://www.fmsinc.com/MicrosoftAcces...dDatabase.html
    If this helped, please click the star at the bottom left of this posting and add to my reputation . Many thanks.
    Bob Fitzpatrick

June7 is online now VIP
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 32bit
    I tried the open db connection method and not seeing any appreciable change in performance. My most complex form still takes 10-20 seconds to open depending on the machine. And it was slowest on mine running the new code compared to others without the new code. Go figure!

I am not familiar with the Static variable declaration but I don't think it is acting as described in Help, at least not as I expected. The variable does not persist when the procedure ends. So I declared a global variable in a general module instead. The variable does persist but still no improvement.
    Last edited by June7; 09-05-2013 at 03:08 PM.
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.