TedB is offline Novice
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2013

Difference in Performance between Access Databases linking to same SQL Server table

Hi, I have been tasked with troubleshooting some user-created Access front-ends that are running slowly. I would understand if just queries and reports were taking a long time to run, but simple linked tables are taking over a minute to show up.

When I create an Access database from scratch and link to one of the problem tables, it shows up write away, but when I create a new linked table to that exact same table in one of the user-created DB's I'm waiting and waiting for it to load.

My question is this: is this expected behavior? Does it make sense that the "same" linked table would perform differently in two different Access front-ends? And if not, what are the possible problems with the way that the slow front-ends are set up?

Note we are using SQL Server directly as an ODBC datasource on all of these.

Thanks for your help!

June7 is offline VIP
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 32bit
    The user-created DB were built with Access 2013?

Have you tried importing everything to a new db file? Same performance?
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

TedB is offline Novice
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2013
    So turns out the databases were built partially in Access 2007 and partially in Access 2010. The users now use Access 2010 to work with them. I took your advice and imported the whole thing into a new Access 2010 database, and lo and behold, the linked tables pop up right away as expected!! Waiting on the users now to see if everything else is working ok. Thanks a bunch!

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.