msmithtlh is offline Competent Performer
    Windows 7 32bit Access 2010 32bit

New computer - previously good Access program running super slow

I have a multi-user Access application, with split-database design (data on network drive. Forms, reports, queries, macros on user's PCs). The app has eleven tables, with a moderately complex design. All was working well until 2 users got new PCs. The app is suddenly running very slow on those 2 PCs. Deleted and relinked tables (no improvement). What system differences should I investigate to determine the problem? Thanks!!

June7 is offline VIP
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 32bit
    Could be any number of things. We had this happen to one new PC and turns out it was his phone connection - as our computers are all networked through phone system. Replaced phone, much better.
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

Thanks, but it isn't that. We have tried the PC at different work stations, and it acts the same. I believe it is something to do with that particular PC, its operating system or other specifics related to that PC.

June7 is offline VIP
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 32bit
    Lemons? You might have to reformat/reinstall or if that fails, return/exchange under warranty.
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

RuralGuy is offline Administrator
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2013
    What are the specs of the "suspect" PC?

Win 7 Pro (same as mine, which works fine). From another lead, someone suggested it could be the video card. We are going to swap that out and see if it makes a difference. Still looking for an answer.

Does it run a different anti-virus?

Not a different anti-virus. Thanks anyway.

I'm out of guesses now. Good luck. Would be interested in the resolution if you fix it.

Thanks for trying. When we get it resolved, I will post the solution.

KathyL is offline Advanced Beginner
    Windows 7 Access 2007
    I run a multi-user Access application with hundreds of tables and many hundreds of queries, forms, and reports. My benchmark tests have shown me that front end/back end database design is SLOWER than one single database. Here’s where I’ve found ‘slowness’ problems.

- - Running Access through Wi-Fi, because the Wi-Fi is much slower than direct connect cables.

- - Running Access on older single core processors (vs. dual core processors, or you need a newer Intel Core i3 or higher)

- - Tables without proper indexes. Indexes are needed to speed up sorts, queries, and processing. You need to have indexes on fields which you may do lots of Finds, or sorts.

- - Multiple table queries can sometimes be slow, it depends on a lot of things.

- - Lookups, like ‘DLookups’, will be slower. If you can, join tables in a query, it will be faster.

- - Some users may think they’re smart by loaded 10 things on their PC, like word processing, Excel, Access, and other applications… they just use up all their CPU core and the CPU is forced to swap things out a lot, which causes lots of lagging.

ItsMe is offline Sometimes Helpful
    Windows XP Access 2003
    What type of network do you have? Is it a Window's domain using Active Directory?

You could check the client security settings. You can see what security settings W7 applies to your network.

Check if the client is indexing network drives. Sometimes this gets disabled because the local drive is SSD but networked HDD might do better with this optioned ticked. (Don't try and goof with the compress and encrypt settings here.)

Just offering suggestions......

Found the problem within Access. I had a form/subform with a clear-record button on the main form. This was causing orphan records. I have corrected the problem. Thanks everyone for your input.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.