rob.access is offline Novice
    Windows 8 Access 2013

Question help creating a document register

Hey All,

Have Access 2013 and sharepoint in the form of office 365.

I want to create a drawing register.

I have very limited knowledge of microsoft access and was wondering what the best way of going about it was.

The way I see it, and correct me if i am wrong;

create a table for clients which has among other things a Client Name and Client ID field (the client ID needs to be sequential starting at row 1000) and everytime i add a new entry it goes up one number.

create a table with drawing information (i.e. drawing number, drawing name, project name,) but it needs to be linked to clients table for the client name and client ID as the client ID forms part of the drawing number.

What i want to be able to do is
    * add clients whenever i want and have the client ID go up one number everytime i add a new row
    * add drawings by first finding the client name in the drawings form which then populates the client number. each drawing also has a type and sequential number, i want the sequential number to be automatically populated by being the next sequential number of the client and drawing type.

If anyone has any useful online tutorials or websites that could lead me into correct direction on this it would be much appreciated. better yet if someone has an example similar database i can hack through and look around in, it would be greatly appreciated.

thanks.

June7 is offline VIP
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 32bit
    An autonumber field will produce a unique identifier but don't count on it being sequential, gaps can result. Generating a custom unique ID that assures sequential integrity will require VBA code.

Don't know what you mean by 'finding the client name in the drawings form'.
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.