maxmaggot is offline Advanced Beginner
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 32bit

Autonumbers become desynchronised after upload to sharepoint

Hi all,
    Has anyone experienced their autonumbers resetting from the values that access generates e.g. 4,5,6 to 1,2,3 etc. This has caused problems with linking between tables to find related records. I can PM the db with Sharepoint login if you can help.

Thanks in advance
    K

Here is more info if it helps

Hi all,

I don't know if you remember me but you really helped me with some db issues a while ago. I'm stuck on the last step. I uploaded my hybrid db to a sharepoint server and for some reason the autonumbers reset starting at 1. This is having an impact on 2 tables. the registration table and the funds table as the funds table cannot find the correct record.

If you have time can you have a look. It would be much appreciated.

I uploaded db to the following address

https://app.box.com/s/1ffhzk3lxrqymb34lz5u

and the login details for sharepoint to the following address

https://app.box.com/s/br397x5fzhwkyumevz5m

Thanks for any help you can give me. It's the last thing I need todo to sign off on this project.

Kind Regards
    Karl
    Last edited by June7; 08-14-2013 at 10:45 PM.

Anyone got any ideas? Thanks

kpo is offline Advanced Beginner
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 64bit
    Hi maxmaggot,

I had the same issue with the autonumber field. Although I have not found a solution yet, here is my story.

I am a self-taught Access user tasked by my boss to create an inventory database. Our inventory can be very complicated and messy so I had to start from scratch. I built a fairly simple and easy to use DB, if I do say so myself. (haha!)

Anyway, people would be using the DB from different office locations and we have no networking set up between the offices. Which, lead us to Office 365. I imported our tables to a blank web DB so I could start creating web queries, forms and reports. That way our web DB could function the same as the client version we have been using. However, I noticed after the import of our main table, the autonumber field has changed the order of entries. (We use the autonumber field as our inventory number.) Entry number 1 in our client table does not match the entry for number 1 in the web table. In fact, in the web table entry number one matches the 503 entry in our client table. Entry 503 in the web table is entry number 498 in the client table. Sorry if this is hard to follow, long story short the entries seem to be jumbled around in no apparent order what so ever.

Did you ever resolve your issue or did you just work around it?

Thanks in advance,
    KP

How I resolved issue

Hi KP,
    Good to hear I'm not alone in this predicament.

You're probably not going to like the solution I implemented :-s

I had to go through every foreign key that I had that was out of sync and I matched it up to the new primary keys that had been resynced. Took ages to do and alot of really head melting stuff to do. But I eventually resynced all foreign keys to their new numbers. The end user reported that I had a few incorrect so I had to go back and double check. It took about of hard work to fix but I got there.

I think it is the only solution that is currently available if you are unlucky enough to be in this situation.

Best of luck
    Max

Max,

Thanks for the quick response! That is what I what I was afraid of. I guess I will buckle down and get started.

Thanks again,
    KP

Best of luck

I hope it goes smoothly for you. It is tedious and boring but essential. When you finish PM me to let me know how you got on.

I'd hate to be in your shoes at this moment but when you get some momentum going it's not terrible.

Best of luck
    Karl

Update from KP:

Before I buckled down to fix the issue of the autonumber field re-organizing itself during an import, I decided I would try the import again. This time, much to my amazement, it imported with no reshuffling! I have gone through and checked the entries to make sure and they are all matching up with my original client table! I am not sure what caused my issue to begin with but I am glad I decided to try it a second time out of curiosity and it all worked out.

Thanks,
    KP

Oh my goodness.... I think I'll go out and shoot myself :-)

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.