tatihulot is offline Advanced Beginner
    Windows 8 Access 2013

Check Boxes: Displaying Correct Imported Data Upon Creation

May I please request some assistance with check boxes? I am using Access 2013.

I’ve imported a spreadsheet into Access 2013, which is now the main table. I am building a form based on it. One of the columns in the table is RETIREMENT STATUS.
    The only value in the column is “Retired.” If a client is not retired, there is nothing in the corresponding cell.

What I want to do is create a check box for this field. If I click the check box, I want the word “Retired” to be entered into the table, for the corresponding record. I don’t want it to say YES, or have a numeric value, such as -1 or 0.

I’m not sure how to do this. Can anyone please guide me through this?

Also: How do I set up the check box so that it will import the table data into the form? For example, I have 62 total records. Only 28 of these records have the word Retired in the RETIREMENT STATUS field. When I create the check box, how do I get the 28 records to display the data correctly?

One other question: I’d like to know if this will work for a toggle button, as well. I doubt I’ll use a toggle, but just in case I want to experiment with it, can the procedure apply to it as well?

Thank you! Jd

June7 is online now VIP
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 32bit
    Could not bind the checkbox to field. This means using an unbound checkbox and code to save text data as well as to convert text data back to -1/0 when viewing existing record. This will not work for continuous or datasheet form.

Same issue with toggle button.
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

tatihulot is offline Advanced Beginner
    Windows 8 Access 2013
    Let me see if I understand.

I can't use radio buttons, check boxes, or toggle buttons to do what I want to do. They'll enter numeric values into the table, and not text. Is this correct? Not exactly what I wanted.

And it won't permit me to import data. It does appear to work with short text boxes and list boxes, but not with option groups, check boxes, or toggle buttons.

Is all this correct? If all this is correct, then this severely limits what I want to do. Unless I enter all of the data from scratch. That would take days. Not quite what I had in mind.

Why does FileMaker Pro permit this, but not Access?

Unless I'm wrong and am just not fully understanding.

Jd
    Last edited by tatihulot; 08-15-2013 at 06:49 AM.

June7 is online now VIP
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 32bit
    Correct - radio, check, toggle, option group all have numeric value. Would have to use unbound controls and VBA to convert values.

Don't know how this interferes with data import. What has import to do with data entry of new records?

I don't know anything about FileMakerPro.
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.