storyiii.5 is offline Novice
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2007

Need to create a script to auto update a field

Hi,

My name is James. I'm new to the forum, and I am also somewhat new to Access. I am trying to increase my knowledge so that I can do more to improve the databases we currently have in use, but one update that I am attempting will require some coding/VBS knowledge, which I have very little.

So here's the scenario:
    We have an Access database used for inventory tracking. The fields in it that I want to work with are a notes field, which is just a basic text box used to notate any changes and assignments in inventory, and a Employee ID field (labeled as Name), which is a combo box that pulls the employee names from an employee table, obviously there to show who it is assigned to.
    I want to create a cause, I guess it would basically be an If clause, and I imagine it should be pretty simple for anyone who has the smallest amount of programming knowledge.
    I want it to essentially say - If, in the Notes field, a note is added stating "Assigned to Username (or EmplyeeID, if easier), Then update EmployeeID to match that name."

So I know what it needs, but I don't know enough programming to connect the two and make it work. Can anyone help with this? I imagine it should be pretty simple.

Thanks for your patience and time! Take it easy on me, I have a lot to learn.

-James

June7 is online now VIP
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 32bit
    This is an inventory database to track what - equipment assigned to employees?
    Why would the employeeID be entered into a notes field instead actually editing the equipment record to reflect the assignment? What you want to allow is poor design and opens door for frustrations for you and users.
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.