Is there a way to specify a value when using an auto-increment field

I need to add items from one table to another preserving each records id which is an auto-incrementing field. However, access won't let me modify the id field for a record. I can change the table to make the field a normal number field so I can import the records. However, I can't make the field auto-increment again if there's any records in the table. I need to modify an auto-incrementing field, is this possible?

NTC is offline VIP
    Windows Vista Access 2007
    yes; via an Append Query or Insert Query

you are in a non-normalized scenario and should not have to be doing what you describe...but I won't scold you on that point....

first create a Select Query to collect/isolate those records from table 1 that must be put into table 2...then create an Append Query using the Select Query as its record source to append the records into table 2...

autonumber fields often have the property of No Duplicates...if there are any duplicates it will not work...it will throw an error....

I'm going to try it with a sample database first. However, I tried doing this with the original and it acted like the password on the database was incorrect. I couldn't wipe it because it was being copied to an access 97 database. However, I did find a copy of access 97 so I can nuke the password and try it that way. Thank you for that tip it might have really helped!

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.