cohrsman is offline Novice
    Windows XP Access 2007

Multi users and Split Database

i have a 2007 database that i intend on having about 10 ppl in my office use simultaneously. I have performed the Split database function and made a FE/BE. I copied the FE 10 times and renamed the files with each person's name. In theory everyone should be able to access the same info at the same time...correct? When 2 ppl try to open same form to input to the same table it says "the database engine could not lock table 'table name' because it is already in use by another person or process." what do i need to do to let multiple ppl use this database? Is there some other way to accomplish this besides splitting the database? It sounded so easy and made sense to me but now i'm banging my head into the wall trying to figure out why it doesn't work...thanks in advance! Oh forgot that we have a shared drive network so all files are accessed through our S: drive.
    Last edited by cohrsman; 09-03-2010 at 12:24 PM. Reason: add

ajetrumpet is offline VIP
    Windows Vista Access 2007
    two things that you immediately need to make sure of is:

*BE file is set in options to open as SHARED, not EXCLUSIVE.
    *Set the RECORDLOCKS property as appropriate in all of your forms (this can allow read-only access to the second person opening a form - which is the best way to avoid 2 people editing a record at the same time)

DaveT is offline Access Developer
    Windows 7 Access 2010 (version 14.0)
    Also check network privileges "make sure that all users who open the database have read, write, and create rights for the folder in which the database is located"
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/289681

As Adam says above, see attached image.

pkstormy is offline Access/SQL Server Expert
    Windows XP Access 2003
    I use this vb script to have my users run when opening the database.
    https://www.accessforums.net/code-re...sier-7572.html

I never have to worry about a 'locked by another user' error and the script has been a real blessing for me.

The script basically clones a 'source' mdb/accdb/mde/accde file, adding the user's windows loginID automatically to the cloned copy, and then opens the cloned copy (but does this every time the script is run - hence, I have my users just run the script versus a shortcut to the frontend or making multiple frontends manually.)

Besides many other benefits, the one thing I really like about using the script also is that if a user happens to corrupt the cloned front-end (ie. by losing their connection or other problem), they just open the database again (using the vb script) and it will automatically fix the cloned corrupted *.ldb file. I also never have to hunt down all the users in the db to have them all close out to fix a locked *.ldb file (which is typically why you get the 'locked' error)

Otherwise, if you're getting the 'locked by another user' and you're absolutely sure each user is in their own copy of the front-end, other than ajetrumpet's suggestion (which seems likely), or DaveT's suggestion, I would then look at the form design itself and see if there's something in the design of the form which would lock the table (this though usually produces a slightly different kind of message versus the 'locked by another user' error which usually shows when the user tries to open the db versus when they are entering data on a form.) There's a few different types of 'locked' messages that often get confused on what they represent is the problem.

You can also try this example which is a simple demonstration that shows how to re-produce a 'locking' type error with the form design (what not to do) and shows different kinds of locking messages you can get with a form designed the way it is to produce such an error.

https://www.accessforums.net/code-re...tion-7761.html

Yarbz is offline Novice
    Windows 7 32bit Access 2010 32bit
    Howdy,
    I had this same problem until I made sure everyone had the same Read/Write/Modify permissions to the BE file folder (which was hidden).
    Once they all were the same, it stopped.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.