scoe is offline Advanced Beginner
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 64bit

Save and close Excel Workbook

Thank you for the help I have had in the past, however I have another problem trying to write a module. I have a macro that runs four queries that open in separate excel workbooks, one after the other. What I have been trying to write is a simple module that will then save and close the spreadsheets in templates to be used at a later time. At present you have to click save and close manually and I don't really want that to be the case. The code I am presently trying, and isn't working is

[Public Function SaveChanges()

appExcel.Workbooks("G:\Databases\Working Copies\SC\ASC\ASC Template.xls").Close SaveChanges:=TrueEnd Function]

I have tried different ways posted on the net but no-one seems to be trying to do exactly what I want and I dont seem to get the right combination of coding.

Any hlp would be greatly appreciated.

Dal Jeanis is offline VIP
    Windows XP Access 2010 32bit
    To help you do this, we have to see the part of the code that actually created one of the workbooks. How did you get hold of the excel app, create the file, and so on.

The syntax for closing is dependent on what it is that you're closing.

Hi

Thank you for getting back to me, I've converted the macro to VBA and the code is as follows:

[Function ALF()
    On Error GoTo ALF_Err
    DoCmd.SetWarnings False
    DoCmd.OutputTo acOutputQuery, "ALF Student AOS missing ASC", "ExcelWorkbook(*.xlsx)", "G:\Databases\Working Copies\SC\Outstanding LA Reports\ASC\ASC Template.xlsx", True, "", , acExportQualityPrint

DoCmd.SetWarnings False
    DoCmd.OutputTo acOutputQuery, "ALF Student AOS missing LA CPS", "ExcelWorkbook(*.xlsx)", "G:\Databases\Working Copies\SC\Outstanding LA Reports\CPS\CPS Template.xlsx", True, "", , acExportQualityPrint
    DoCmd.SetWarnings False
    DoCmd.OutputTo acOutputQuery, "ALF Student AOS missing LA SCI", "ExcelWorkbook(*.xlsx)", "G:\Databases\Working Copies\SC\Outstanding LA Reports\SCI\SCI Template.xlsx", True, "", , acExportQualityPrint
    DoCmd.SetWarnings False
    DoCmd.OutputTo acOutputQuery, "ALF Student AOS missing LA TEC", "ExcelWorkbook(*.xlsx)", "G:\Databases\Working Copies\SC\Outstanding LA Reports\TEC\TEC Template.xlsx", True, "", , acExportQualityPrint

ALF_Exit:
    Exit Function
    ALF_Err:
    MsgBox Error$
    Resume ALF_Exit
    End Function]
    Each query runs and opens the workbook template and remains open, what I want it to do is stay open for a few seconds and then save and close. Thank you again for your time.

Try switching the fifth parameter from "True" to "False" and see what happens.

That parameter should be "AutoStart application". If you don't start a new copy of the app, then the app shouldn't stay open after the export, if I understand the parameter correctly.

Thank you, I have done that and it doesn't open but saves the file to the location, however I would have liked it to open for a few seconds before closing but don't seem to be able to get t to do that. As it stands though it will work thatnk you again.

In order to have that happen you would need to open Excel a different way using VBA. It's nontrivial, but not terribly difficult either. I wouldn't do it for a cosmetic effect, though, I'd just create a message form that opened for a few seconds and then shut itself on a timer.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.