Keying in Test Answers from Hard Copy

Hello AccessForums.net!

I am writing on behalf of the City of Kalamazoo. We currently have a FoxPro program that was developed to allow employees from the Transportation department to key in test answers from hard copies of tests they administer to potential bus drivers. Once keyed in, the test answer data can then be calculated by the program and stored in a database. The program prints out a "results" sheet with the test takers overall score and how well they did in each section.

The FoxPro program was developed by an employee who no longer works here. We do not know how exactly he coded it or where the test data is being stored.

My question is: Is it possible to create a form in Access 2003 that would allow someone to key in test answers and then Access would crunch the numbers to display a "results" page, as well as store those results in a database?

Basically I just want to recreate what the FoxPro program does, but do it using Access 2003.

Thanks very much for your time!!! I really appreciate everything you guys do!

(I have screenshots of the FoxPro program as well as a copy of the "results" page if you would like to see them)

-Phil Hajek
    City of Kalamazoo, IT

RuralGuy is offline Administrator
    Windows XP Access 2002
    With some minor exceptions, if you can do it in FoxPro, you can do it in Access. I have both programs.

Windows XP Access 2002
    Access can read the tables that are in FoxPro as well.

Viewing FoxPro in Access

I have the original FoxPro files. There are some .DBF, .CDX, and .DCX files.

There is an actual FoxPro application file to run the answer gathering software. Is there anyway I can get into the FoxPro files to see the architecture behind the FoxPro application?

I need to recreate this application using forms in Access 2003. Is there anyway to view the design of the FoxPro application I am duplicating without using Visual FoxPro? I do not know if we have a license for FoxPro so I am trying to find Freeware to help me accomplish this.

Again, Thank you all so much for your time!

-Phil Hajek
    Technical Analyst

Windows XP Access 2002
    Without VFP I believe you are out of luck looking at the original but I'm sure you will do a *much* better job with Access. The files that end in X are just indexes.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.