jennyaccord is offline Novice
    Windows XP Access 2002

Exclamation Secure Workgroup Problems

At work all of our Access databases are connected to a secure work group with different levels of password protected access (i.e. base level is read-only, top level is Database Designer).

I designed a database for a member of staff (using Access 2002) who is not from my department and who only has runtime access and they are unable to open it. When they click on the icon it has a bit of a spasm and brings up a warning box that code within the database may be unsafe (it isn't), and if they click 'open' it simply brings up a blank screen. The IT department has tried Runtime Access versions 2000, 2003 and 2007 with exactly the same results.

Is the problem the secure workgroup that I have to connect to whenever I use Access? I know I can't open any database without having to enter a password, so could this be causing the problem?

If it is, how do I stop it? Can I get Runtime Access to look for a workgroup elsewhere? If so, how? Or can I connect the database to the secure workgroup? Again, if so, how because Runtime's controls are minimal.

It's driving me insane because the database itself took days to set up and is needed for use by the other department in the next week or so and our IT department have come up blank (which isn't an entire shock).

Any help would be greatly received.

RuralGuy is offline Administrator
    Windows XP Access 2002
    Does your staff member use a shortcut to open the db? Does it point to the workgroup file as well?

Windows XP Access 2002
    Thanks for replying RuralGuy.

The database was transfered from my PC to theirs via flash drive and they have copied it onto their system and are trying to open it directly from the C:\ drive in 'My Computer'.

I've checked the properties and it simply says C:\ (that being the drive it's on). I don't know how to check which workgroup it's referring to, and I can't change the security settings as the user has runtime which won't allow the settings to be changed.

I'm not used to changing workgroups or working with secured workgroups so am completely flummoxed.

Sorry for being dumb. Give me forms to create, reports to set up or queries to write and I'm there, but that's about as far as my technical expertise runs.

Thanks

Edit:

Hooray!! Just managed to spend almost an entire working day on a problem that was simply caused by my own retardedness.

I hadn't set the 'on open' control on my main form so runtime was recognising the database, opening it, but not seeing anything.

At least I know I'm not going insane.

Thanks anyway.
    Last edited by jennyaccord; 12-02-2009 at 09:26 AM. Reason: Idiocy

Windows XP Access 2002
    Does this mean you have everything sorted? Your system is good-to-go?

Windows XP Access 2002
    Thanks RuralGuy, I'm just about set. I have another question, but it's an entirely different issue so I'll start a new thread.

Sorry for not replying earlier, I've been having a few problems with my PC.

Windows XP Access 2002
    I guess that means you are ready to follow the link in my sig and mark this thread as Solved.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.