ADiaz22 is offline Novice
    Windows 7 32bit Access 2007

Exclamation OpenForm Macro Not Working from a Combo Form!

Hi there,

I am currently building a database in which users can see certain Site Locations and when they click on it, it'll open up to the Site Details. So I made two forms: "Site List" and "Site Details". When I tried to link the two together using the "OpenForm" macro "on click" it gives me two errors that I pasted print screens into a word document of. I made sure there was a PK and I wanted to make sure that the site that is clicked, opens to the right site details form so I added in the function an "=[Site ID]"... But it still isn't working. Please refer to the Word document for the error messages and also to see which macro I am trying to use.AccessErrors.zipAccessErrors.zip

Any help would be much appreciated!!

June7 is online now VIP
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 32bit
    The WHERE CONDITION is incomplete. It needs to be an expression. I use only VBA and the code would be:

DoCmd.OpenForm "Site Details" , , , "[Site ID]=" & Me.[Site ID]

Might consider a form/subform arrangement.
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

If you look at the Student Database template, they give you the option to open up a student details form when you click on the student in the Student List form. That is what I'm trying to recreate here, but I can't seem to get the expression right. I'm not very familiar with VBA and only really know Basic/Intermediate applications on Access. So I notice if I leave the WHERE CONDITION blank, it opens the Site Details form to the very first form, regardless of which one I choose. What expression do I put in order to have the right Site open when I click it? I tried the code you gave me but it still doesn't work.

June7 is online now VIP
    That template uses an embedded macro. Viewed with Access 2007, the criteria expression used is:

="[ID]=" & Nz([ID],0)

Your forum profile says Access 2007 but your images reflect Access 2010/2013.

If you want to provide your db, I will attempt to troubleshoot later with 2010.
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

Ok no problem. Funny, my Access says "Access 2007-2010" so maybe I misunderstood on which version I had. Here's the database I'm trying to build. As you can see on the Site List form, the Site IDs look like hyperlinks so it can be clicked to open the Site Details. So that's where I need help. Thank you so much for looking into this!

Fieldwork Database.zip

June7 is online now VIP
    There are enough differences between 2007 and 2010 even though they both create accdb files that sometimes 2007 has issues with file built in 2010. For instance, my Access 2007 doesn't recognize your file.

Your Site ID is a text value. Text values must be delimited with apostrophe (use # for date/time):

"[Site ID]='" & [Site ID] & "'"

Odd, I made that edit and removed the leading = sign. The form opens without error but it is not filtered even though it says it is.

I gave up trying to fix your Contracts form embedded macro. I converted to VBA code and that works.

Private Sub SiteOpen_Click()
    DoCmd.OpenForm "Site Details", , , "[Site ID]='" & Me.[Site ID] & "'"
    End Sub

You have ID fields set as primary key but not using them as the primary/foreign key. Set SiteID as primary/foreign key. The ID fields are useless with the table relationships as is.

Advise no spaces or special characters (underscore is exception) in names.

Windows 7 32bit Access 2010 32bit
    Thank you very much! We are one step closer! So now, when I click the site, it keeps going to the first of the list instead of the site that I actually would like to show up. I did change the SiteID as primary key so I'm not sure where I should go from here. Thank you again for your time, patience and effort!

June7 is online now VIP
    That's what was happening to me with the macro. Did you try VBA?

When I tried it as a VBA this is the error I received:

June7 is online now VIP
    Your image did not appear to load.

I tried again... But I'll also add it as an attachment just in case it doesn't load again. Thanks again!
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	AccessErrorVBA.jpg 
Views:	8 
Size:	199.9 KB 
ID:	13020

June7 is online now VIP
    All I can say is it works for me. Provide your revised db for analysis.

Sorry, been busy. Here's the database with the VBA you provided for me. Fieldwork Database.zip

June7 is online now VIP
    That's weird behavior.

I copied the SiteList form, deleted the old one, renamed the copy. Now I get error message: Object doesn't support this property or method.

That's more weird behavior.

I downloaded your first posted db and tried to replicate my earlier success and even that won't work.

I tried importing objects to a new db, still won't work. I deleted both forms and rebuilt. The code works.

I rebuilt the SiteList form in your posted db and that seemed to fix the issue. Form must be corrupted. You will have to rebuild it.

I solved the problem using the button control and specifying that I had related fields. It built the macro for me and it worked. I no longer have the issues that I had. Thank you for helping!

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.