mikeone610 is offline Advanced Beginner
    Windows 7 32bit Access 2010 32bit

Question about converting from Access to SQL Server

Hi. I have been making a simple db for a while now in Access and it has finally grow to something very useful. Now that there is nearly 5 million data points on 400k customers it is moving very slow and sluggish. I have been told that I need to convert it so I use Access as a frontend and SQL Server as backend. The person who is telling me this also has offered to do this for me for a $100. I watched a few YouTube videos and it did not seem difficult. Is it worth it?

TLDR I do not know anything about SQL Server should I pay someone a $100 to convert my Access DB to it?

pbaldy is offline Who is John Galt?
    Windows XP Access 2007
    This is an "it depends" situation. If all they do is run the upsizing wizard, 100 is too much. If they convert queries to stored procedures and such, to take advantage of the power of SQL Server, it would likely cost much more. Simply pushing the data to SQL Server may not solve your performance problems.
    Paul (wino moderator)
    MS Access MVP 2007-2019
    www.BaldyWeb.com

mikeone610 is offline Advanced Beginner
    Windows 7 32bit Access 2010 32bit
    I gotcha. Thank you for the reply. I just do not know much about the process and am a novice like I said. I think really the key is I do not want to get ripped off and I need to be able to import new data (same format as it use to be import as in Access) and not beholden to this guy every time I need to update data.

I know this might be a much larger question and more difficult to answer but is their anyway I would be able to tell if he just ran the upsizing wizard vs the stored procedures.

June7 is online now VIP
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 32bit
    Include tutoring in the deal?

Upsizing doesn't always go smoothly. Have seen posts with issues.

$100 doesn't seem like a whole lot to risk but once this guy has you hooked, that $100 could grow to whatever.

Could have a contract with terms to spell out what this person will do for the $100. Include so many callbacks to deal with issues? But really, what's his incentive to return if he already has the $100? You take him to small claims court and sue?

Pay the $100, have him do the upsize with you right there learning the process. The learning part is probably the real value. Or do it on your own and pay for service when you encounter issue you can't resolve.
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.