Alan D.. is offline Novice
    Windows Vista Access 2007

Dialog Box for Hyperlinks

I am in the process of creating d/base of early settlers for our local museum. The Fields need to have reference to one or more files or programs outside of Access, e.g. Legacy, Word, photo files, d/bases of electoral rolls, etc.

The apparent easy solution was to attach these sources and I also got a handy Attachments dialog box that showed me the list of attachments for a every person or place. However, after entering only 10 names and attachments, the file size had grown to nearly 8Mb - obviously impracticable if the d/base is to contain over 2,000 names.
    So, I switched to using Hyperlinks which cut the file size by 90% but now I have another problem: Hyperlinks only lead to one item, e.g. a photo, whereas the person concerned may have several photos and several other references. This would necessitate creating multiple Fields.
    Is there a way to create a Dialog box (similar to the Attachments box) that would show me a list of the Hyperlinks for a paraticluar person?
    Help, please. Thanks. Alan D.

RuralGuy is offline Administrator
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2013
    If you are talking about a 1:M relationship then I would suggest a second table for the "items" and a Form/SubForm arrangement for the user.

Alan D.. is offline Novice
    Windows Vista Access 2007
    Thanks, RuralGuy. It was not the answer I was looking for, but it did make me rethink what I'm doing and led me to a solution similar to what you have outlined. If our paths cross again you'll have to call me RuralAlan as I live in a remote valley in the far north of New Zealand. (We are not just country bumpkins!) Thanks again. Alan D.

RuralGuy is offline Administrator
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2013
    You're very welcome KiwiAlan, er...pardon me...RuralAlan. Glad to have you on the forum.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.