dharsh is offline Novice
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 64bit

Calculated Fields in tables

I have the following fields called [BDM Start Date], [Bronze], [Silver], [Gold], [Platinum]. [BDM Start Date] is manually populated by the user. Based on this I need to do a calculation for the remaining fields. The calculations I need are as follows:

For [Bronze] I need 6 months from [BDM Start Date] and then bump this to the first of the following month. To do this I used the following formula: =Str(Month(DateAdd("m",7,[BDM Start Date])))+"/1/"+Str(Year(DateAdd("m",7,[BDM Start Date]))) This formula worked in a Query but doesn't seem to work in a table.

For [Silver] I need 12 months from [BDM Start Date] and then bump this to the first of the following month.
    For [Gold] I need 18 months from [BDM Start Date] and then bump this to the first of the following month.
    For [Platinum] I need 24 months from [BDM Start Date] and then bump this to the first of the following month.

Any sugestions?

June7 is offline VIP
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 32bit
    Functions don't work in table calculated field. Calculated field is intended for simple calcs like: Quantity * Amount.

Do complex calcs in query and use query as source for forms and reports. Or do the calcs in textboxes.
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

dharsh is offline Novice
    Thanks for your help. I will try this.

dharsh is offline Novice
    Ok I added the above to a query and was able to calculate the [Bronze],[Silver],[Gold], and [Platinum] fields. Now I need to run a query that calculates what the current level is based on todays's date. I have placed the following formula inside the same query:

Current: IIf(Date()<[Bronze],"Stanadard",IIf(Date()>=[Bronze] And (Date()<[Silver]),"Bronze",IIf(Date()>=[Silver] And (Date()<[Gold]),"Silver",IIf(Date()>=[Gold] And (Date()<[Platinum]),"Gold","Platinum"))))

However, when I run the query I get "Platinum" as my answer. Any suggesstions?

June7 is offline VIP
    Don't use the Str() function to calculate dates. This means a string value compared to Date() and in this case there is a space in front of the year part. Use & instead of + for concatenation but the result is still a string value.

Use DateSerial() or CDate().

CDate(Month(DateAdd("m",7,[BDMStartDate])) & "/1/" & Year(DateAdd("m",7,[BDMStartDate])))

DateSerial(Year(DateAdd("m",7,[BDMStartDate])),Month(DateAdd("m",7,[BDMStartDate])),1)
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

dharsh is offline Novice
    I will try this now. Thanks again.

ssanfu is offline Master of Nothing
    Windows XP Access 2000
    I find it is easier to "fall through" to get a result. The formula is simpler.

You might try this:
    Code:
    IIf(Date()>=[Platinum],"Platinum",IIf(Date()>=[Gold],"Gold",IIf(Date()>=[Silver],"Silver",IIf(Date()>=[Bronze],"Bronze","Stanadard"))))
    Given these dates,
    [Platinum] = 6/30/2013
    [Gold] = 5/31/2013
    [Silver] = 4/30/2013
    [Bronze] = 3/30/2013

If Date() = 7/1/2013, the result will be "Platinum" (Date() > [Platinum])
    If Date() = 6/15/2013, the result will be "Gold" (Date() >= [Gold] and < [Platinum])
    If Date() = 5/15/2013, the result will be "Silver" (Date() >= [Silver] and < [Gold])

My $0.02

dharsh is offline Novice
    Ok I used the CDate function and that worked great for calculating my {Bronze],[Silver],[Gold],[Platinum] fields. However when I use the following formula in the same query to calculate my [Current] field it does not seem to calculate correctly.
    IIf(Date()<[Bronze],"Standard",IIf(Date()>=[Bronze] And (Date()<[Silver]),"Bronze",IIf(Date()>=[Silver] And (Date()<[Gold]),"Silver",IIf(Date()>=[Gold] And (Date()<[Platinum]),"Gold",IIf(Date()>=[Platinum],"Platinum")))))

June7 is offline VIP
    Try ssanfu's suggestion.

dharsh is offline Novice
    Currently I have the actual dates:
    [Platinum] = 8/1/2014
    [Gold] = 2/1/2014
    [Silver] = 8/1/2013
    [Bronze] = 2/1/2013

When I run the query using IIf(Date()>=[Platinum],"Platinum",IIf(Date()>=[Gold],"Gold",IIf(Date()>=[Silver],"Silver",IIf(Date()>=[Bronze],"Bronze","Stanadard")))) I get a value of "Gold" when it should be "Bronze"

June7 is offline VIP
    The expression works in my test.

Here is my SQL:

SELECT BDMStartDate, CDate(Month(DateAdd("m",19,[BDMStartDate])) & "/1/" & Year(DateAdd("m",19,[BDMStartDate]))) AS Gold, CDate(Month(DateAdd("m",13,[BDMStartDate])) & "/1/" & Year(DateAdd("m",13,[BDMStartDate]))) AS Silver, CDate(Month(DateAdd("m",7,[BDMStartDate])) & "/1/" & Year(DateAdd("m",7,[BDMStartDate]))) AS Bronze, CDate(Month(DateAdd("m",25,[BDMStartDate])) & "/1/" & Year(DateAdd("m",25,[BDMStartDate]))) AS Platinum, IIf(Date()>=[Platinum],"Platinum",IIf(Date()>=[Gold],"Gold",IIf(Date()>=[Silver],"Silver",IIf(Date()>=[Bronze],"Bronze","Stanadard")))) AS Class
    FROM Table1;

Post your complete SQL statement or provide db for analysis. Follow instructions at bottom of my post.

dharsh is offline Novice
    I tried running the following formula in the same query that I used to calculate the [Bronze],[Silver],[Gold],[Platinum] fields. Does that cause a problem? I am not actually writing any code as I do not know how. Everything I am doing is inside a query.

IIf(Date()>=[Platinum],"Platinum",IIf(Date()>=[Gold],"Gold",IIf(Date()>=[Silver],"Silver",IIf(Date()>=[Bronze],"Bronze","Stanadard"))))

When I do the above it returns everything with a value of "Gold" or "Platinum"

June7 is offline VIP
    That's what the query I posted does - calculates all in one. Again, if you want to provide db for analysis, follow instructions at bottom of my post.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.