JGCanada is offline Novice
    Windows XP Access 2003

Multiple Existing Records to be Attached to a New Record

Hi,

I am quite new to Access and am looking forward to learning more.

I am trying to create a database that will track the process of a product through batch processes. These batch processes always happen in the same order: Work Order, Construction, Inspection, Submission

The Product table has fields for the several batch processes that need to take place as above.
    Each of the processes requires different information and has its own table.
    When complete, each Product will have an BatchID for each process attached to it.

I would like the user to be able to select the Products that are awaiting the next step be selected and added to a new Batch.

For example:
    Multiple products are created in a Work Order and are awaiting construction.
    A user will view the records that have not been attached to a ConstructionBatch, select individual items and attach them to a new ConstructionBatch. The Products that were not selected will be unchanged to be attached to future batches.
    This process will be repeated for the next step where the user will view the records that have been Constructed but not Inspected. The user will select the Products and attach them to a new InspectionBatch.

Any help with this will be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance.

June7 is online now VIP
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 32bit
    Maybe you need to use a form/subform arrangement. Review: http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/ac...010098674.aspx
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

JGCanada is offline Novice
    Windows XP Access 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by June7 View Post
    Maybe you need to use a form/subform arrangement. Review: http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/ac...010098674.aspx

Thank you for the link, this was my original action plan as well. However, it assumes that the subform data is already linked to a parent item. What I am trying to accomplish is select a list of products that do not have a ParentID, create a new ParentID for that stage and populate each product record with the new ParentID.

Is there a more elegant way to accomplish this than to:
    A) List all records with InspectID = ''
    B) User selects items to process
    C) Create delimeted variable from selected ProductIDs and pass to new form to create new InspectID Parent record
    D) Parse delimited variable to separate ProductIDs and update their InspectID field to the newly created Parent record
    E) User enters in details for new InspectID Parent

I was hoping to create the InspectID Parent record first with a list of the ProductIDs with InspectID = '', and select from there on a single page but it seems that the subform needs to be bound to the mainform.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.