CJ40 is offline Novice
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2013

Autonumbering within Tables starting from a specified number

Hi All

[This is my first ever thread so feeling a little nervous! Please be kind to me ]

Ok I am in the process of setting up a tracking database in Access 2013 to track the request, sent and returned number of soil sample kits for a state wise experiment, involving the general public. Each kit sent out will have a unique Kit ID number. It is possible for an individual to order more than one kit. In such instances, ideally I would somehow like Access to assign sequential Kit ID number from a specified initial Kit ID number without having to manually enter each Kit ID number; it is possible I will have farmers that could provide 100's of samples, as an example.

I was thinking of using something similar to what I've seen in OC (creating patient positions), for Access forms set up - e.g.

Customer ID [ABC1234]
    Number of kits ordered [3]
    First Kit ID Number Assigned [A0014]

Then in the corresponding table, using the IDCustomer unique field to link the info, in the associated datafields , Kit ID number A0014 will appear next to Customer 'ABC1234' and then Access automatically assigns the next sequential Kit Numbers 'A0015' and 'A0016' against the same customer ID.

Is this possible? (I hope this all makes sense!)

Many thanks in advance to anyone who can help!

RuralGuy is offline Administrator
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2013
    Perhaps this link will be useful: http://www.baldyweb.com/CustomAutonumber.htm

NTC is offline VIP
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 32bit
    An autonumber field will sequence for you, but there needs to be 1 record per number of course.

In your post you are displaying a single record with the field 'quantity' as 3. What you would need to do is have another table that holds the actual number ID where there is 1 record per ID - - and then inset this as a sub form and display the actual values by entering something into each record - perhaps just a checkbox check.

This is a classic Parent/Child 1:many set up where your 1 parent record states the summary and then the child records have the detail.

Now if you want the sequencing by customer i.e. Smith orders 3 : #s 5,6,7 and then six months later orders another two and they are to be #8,9 - - that is completely different and not an autonumber solution but rather a totally code centric custom approach.

hope this helps

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.