RAM 1969 is offline Novice
    Windows 8 Access 2010 64bit

Extract financial Year from a transaction date

Hi

I am looking for extracting financial year YYYY-YY out of transaction date in the format DD/MM/YYYY. For example, return the value 2013-14 from the transaction date 01/06/2013

June7 is offline VIP
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 32bit
    What is your financial year - July 1 to June 30?

Why is date in dd/mm/yyyy? Is it really stored in table in date/time field as mm/dd/yyyy? If it is then try:

Year(datefield) - IIf(Month(datefield)<7, 1,0) & "-" Trim(Format(datefield, "yy") + IIf(Month(datefield)>6,1,0))

If it isn't mm/dd/yyyy is it actually in a text field?
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

orange is offline Moderator
    Windows XP Access 2003
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada; West Palm Beach FL

dunc723 is offline Novice
    Windows 7 32bit Access 2010 32bit
    The result will have to be a string. I would write a function that looks something like this:

Function FinYear(DateIn As Date) As String
    Dim intYear1 As Integer, intYear2 As Integer, strFinYear As String
    If Month(DateIn) >= 7 Then
    intYear1 = Year(DateIn)
    intYear2 = intYear1 + 1
    Else
    intYear2 = Year(DateIn)
    intYear1 = intYear2 - 1
    End If
    strFinYear = intYear1 & "-" & Right(intYear2, 2) 'I always like to have a temporary result for debugging

FinYear = strFinYear
    End Function

This function assumes the financial year runs from July 1 to June 30 (defined by ">=7" in the If statement). This is fine if it will always be the same - it saves you from having to specify it every time you use the function. If you need flexibility, add another input variable, something like this:

Function FinYear(DateIn As Date, StartMon As Integer) As String
    Dim intYear1 As Integer, intYear2 As Integer, strFinYear As String
    If Month(DateIn) > StartMon Then

Then if you have 03/06/2013 in datefield (today's date in dd/mm/yyyy) and your fiscal year starts April 1, your function in use will be
    =FinYear (datefield, 4)
    which will return the string 2013-14. If you entered FinYear(datefield, 7), the result would be 2012-13.

PLD

RAM 1969 is offline Novice
    Windows 8 Access 2010 64bit
    Thank you
    My financial year is April to March
    Date filed is captured in the table as DD/MM/YYYY format as transaction data. I want to return the value in the new field as Financial Year like 2013-14. For example, if the date of transaction is 01.06.2013 (!st June, 2013), then the result should be 2013-14.

regards

RAM

June7 is offline VIP
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 32bit
    DD/MM/YYYY is not Access standard for storing date values. Date manipulation functions might not work properly with that structure. Did you review my post #2? Also review http://allenbrowne.com/ser-36.html
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

Quote Originally Posted by June7 View Post
    DD/MM/YYYY is not Access standard for storing date values. Date manipulation functions might not work properly with that structure. Did you review my post #2? Also review http://allenbrowne.com/ser-36.html
    Allen Browne says: "...just remember the user interface in Access uses the local Control Panel settings to interpret dates typed into the user interface."

Although Access can do some screwy things with dates if they are not entered in conformance with the user's Windows regional settings, it stores the date as a serial number. Today, June 5, 2013, is stored as 41430, not in any date format. The only risk is on the input side - if you have any concerns about this, you can force the user to put date, month, and year in separate entries, then combine them into the date that is actually stored in the table. Or you can have the form interpret the entry after the date field is updated but before the record is saved by displaying the date as text; for example, if the user enters 05/06/2103 (in dd/mm/yyyy format), you can have another box next to it that formulaicly converts it to "June 5, 2013" for the user to visually verify he entered it correctly.

You can use the function I outlined above. Again, if you will always use April as the starting date for the financial year, change

If Month(DateIn) >= 7 Then

to

If Month(DateIn) >= 4 Then

Make sense? Are you familiar with writing custom functions?

zoran.eremija is offline Novice
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2003
    I suggest you correct database model so that to add an entity Year. See the example attached.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.