Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    June7 is online now VIP
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 32bit
    I posed those questions only as examples of how user interaction might be limited. You need to figure out limitations you want to enforce and design for that. For instance, the HR Manager only needs to see Employees data so when that user opens database code can grab network USERNAME and lookup the user in Employees table and open a form for entering/editing employee data. Or maybe the same main menu everyone sees but in the case of the HR Manager only buttons to open employee forms or reports or a submenu is available (but not available for other users). There are many ways to approach this.
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

Stephanie53 is offline Competent Performer
    Windows 7 32bit Access 2010 32bit
    yes that is exactly what i want...have a full menu but if they are not allowed in that part of the DB it will popup and tell them they arent. i am going to be creating an .EXE program when i split this DB for the front end as i am also finding out that not everyone has the same O/S (some have XP and some have Win7) to which not all have Access on their computer either. So i am thinking on that .EXE from Access that I can create that form of the menu and limit the privilege that way as it will read their USERNAME from Windows Login..can it be done that way?

by the way..i sent out a KUDOS under Access Forum (above Forms) and you are listed in it :-)

TIA

Stephanie

June7 is online now VIP
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 32bit
    Just as an idea, code in main menu Open event could be like:

If DLookup("Privileges", "Employees", "UserName='" & Environ("USERNAME") & "'") = "HR" Then
    Me.HRbutton.Visible = True
    Me.otherbutton.Visible = False
    End If

This could get very complicated.
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.