HMEpartsmanager is offline Advanced Beginner
    Windows XP Access 2003

Lists not showing all columns?

Hello,

I have a working database that has been in operation for over 3 years. I have it sitting on a computer in the office (\\office). I am sitting in another building and have always had access to it. I programmed it, made changes to it, and everything has been fine for a few years.

Then Monday we had an electrical surge and the hard drive's boot sector got scrambled and I had to get a new hard drive. Put the new hard drive, re-installed XP and all the updates, then installed Office 2003 and all it's updates, and expected to just bring up the database off of the office computer and get back to work. This did not happen.

After bringing back a backup from a memory stick back into my backup directory, I tested it on my computer here to see if it could be duplicated, and it is happening here even with a database sitting on my local hard drive.

Here is the problem....

Bring up a form, Purchase Orders, and it has a subform attached to it with all the parts. Many of the boxes to fill in for a purchase order are done with 'combo-boxes', where you have a list of choices, and it is set to only accept an item from that list.

Example would be choose the vendor. This box is linked to the vendor list. When you choose you would get the 3 letter abreviation in the first column, and the vendor short name in the second column. When you select a vendor, the 3 letter short name would fill the box. Now (after having to re-install this computer) when I go to enter a box like this, I do not see (visibly) the list. I can scroll up and down and CHOOSE a line, even though I can't see it, and it will fill the box with the vendor who I happened to be on.

When I go to the next box, PO Written By, it would usually show the 5 digit employee number in the first column, then their first name in the 2nd column, and the last name in the 3rd. This box is now not showing the first column, but is showing the next two.

When I go to another box that lists a 1 digit status code, it would normally show a single letter for a code in the first column, and then the real meaning in the 2nd column. This would allow you to scroll through the list and pick the one you want. This box is now not showing either column. But this box is letting me scroll through it, but not allow putting anything in the box. It says it is not in the list; well, it says it cannot be a NULL value.

The database WORKS from the office computer just like it always has in the past. Everything is fine. It is only this computer here that I just put a new hard drive in and had to re-install the operating system and access.

Is there some generic configuration options in Access that need to be set when you first install? I have been on the phone with the office mgr and her and I went through each of the Customization and the Options inside of Access, and we are set the same; so we think.

Has anyone ran into this before? Is there a certain thing I should be looking for?

BTW, there are only 2 people using this database, me with the new install, and the office mgr who is still running the original database. The only thing that may be of importance, and I will mention it here, is that I created the database on this computer using Access. After I completed the database structure and everything, I placed the database on her computer since it gets backed up everyday. I then just started accessing the database from my desk in another building. This has been going on for a few years with no issues.

Any helpful suggestions and/or directions to start looking?

Tim

RuralGuy is offline Administrator
    Windows XP Access 2002
    Are you sure you have all of the updates?
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx/kb/945280/
    ...including the HotFix?
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/945674

Windows XP Access 2003
    Wow, thanks for the fast reply. That link was describing exactly what I think is going on. Not that I want to change every single instance where this happens, but at least I know where to look now.

I am going to go review the 2 links you sent me. One of them was a hot fix, it might offer more help.

Thank you,

Tim

Windows XP Access 2002
    I believe the HotFox resolves the issue.

Windows XP Access 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by RuralGuy View Post
    I believe the HotFox resolves the issue.
    Yes, the HotFix did resolve this issue. I read it, downloaded it, extracted it, then ran it. First run through looks like it fixed the problem I was having. I wanted to report back here that it worked.

Thank you again!

Tim

Windows XP Access 2002
    Excellent! Go ahead and follow the link in my sig and mark this thread as Solved.

Windows XP Access 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by RuralGuy View Post
    Excellent! Go ahead and follow the link in my sig and mark this thread as Solved.

I really like that 'thread solved' marker. I haven't heard of one of those, but it sure makes sense.

Tim

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.