fabads is offline Novice
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2013

Question Multiple choice in a single field

Hello,

I am beginner with Access 2013 and I have question regarding multiple choices fields.

I would like to store constrained but multiple values in a single field. I used the assistant to create the multiple choice field in the table, but I'd like to have it displayed in my form with check boxes (more readable in my tabular form) instead of drop down list.
    Is it possible ?

Thx for help.

Regards.

Fab

rpeare is offline VIP
    Windows XP Access 2003
    Do not store multiple values in a single field, create a properly normalized set of tables, you will have *so* much trouble with multi value fields I would strongly urge you not to use them, particularly if you intend to store values that are found in other tables and intend to use it as a lookup.

rzw0wr is offline I will always be a newbie
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 32bit
    ++++++++++++++++++1+++++++++++++++++++

fabads is offline Novice
    Quote Originally Posted by rpeare View Post
    Do not store multiple values in a single field, create a properly normalized set of tables, you will have *so* much trouble with multi value fields I would strongly urge you not to use them, particularly if you intend to store values that are found in other tables and intend to use it as a lookup.
    Thanks for support. I played a little bit yesterday, and my conclusion is the same as yours !
    For my culture, what do you mean by"properly normalized set of tables" ?

Regards

rpeare is offline VIP
    Windows XP Access 2003
    Do a web search for 'database normalization' or something similar. There are literally millions of articles about database normalization, what it means, how to design with the principles in mind, etc.

rzw0wr is offline I will always be a newbie
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 32bit
    Normalization is a 5 step process for designing tables.

MOST, not all, use the first 3.

I can not get a design to normal 5 yet without lots of coffee and many cigarettes.

Normal 3 is fine.

Dale

fabads is offline Novice
    Ok, let's take an example to ensure my understanding.

I would like to build a database with a collection of plants. I create a database with the common name of the plant, scientific name, description, that's ok.
    I would like to add other information:
    - the flowering period of a plant: In that particular case, would it be preferable to have 12 yes/no columns (January to December) or a single field with the different choices ? 12 columns I presume !
    - where to place the plant: sun/partial shade/shade. As multiple choices are possible (usually sun/partial shade or partial shade/shade) ? In the same way 3 yes/no columns ?
    - Then I have particularities: for example, if plant smells, or is toxic. Should I use as manay columns as different particularities ?

For the last two points, my idea is to display in a form only applicable icons representing (the checked columns only).

Hope you see what I mean (don't have english vocabulary linked to nature !!!)
    I was afraid to create too much columns but I understand it is the good approach.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.