Ellpee is offline Advanced Beginner
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 32bit

Question Extra Blank Page in Report

I'm working with an Access 2003 database, now being run in Access 2010. One of the reports is throwing an extra blank page between each legitimate page. Report has two grouping levels, first in Detail, no header/yes footer; second in page header, again no header/yes footer. Both groupings are set to "no" for "keep on same page." There are no page breaks anywhere in the report that I've been able to find, but each time it SHOULD skip to a new page and start the next grouping, it's throwing in an extra page with nothing but the page header information. I've also checked margins in page setup, they seem fine. Darn if I can figure out why this is happening. Anyone have any suggestions?

June7 is offline VIP
    Would have to work with the report if you want to provide db follow instructions at bottom of my post.
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

No Can Do

Quote Originally Posted by June7 View Post
    Would have to work with the report if you want to provide db follow instructions at bottom of my post.
    Sorry, no can do. It's proprietary to a client, and also dependent on a slew of linked SQL tables for its data source that are likewise proprietary. If no one else chimes in with ideas, I guess I'll just try to re-create the form from scratch and see if my way of doing things makes the problem go away.

ssanfu is offline Master of Nothing
    Windows XP Access 2000
    Try changing the background of one of the sections to pink or green or cyan, then preview each page of the report. If the report width is too wide, you will see a blank page that has a colored band...
    Make the report width narrower (in design view). This has happened to me when I added lines to divide the areas of the report. I narrowed the lines, then shrunk right side of the report.

Usually, the width of the report plus the print margins is wider than the paper width; this will give you a blank page.

Thanks for your suggestion. Odd thing about this one is that the "blank" pages actually show all the labels and fields for the page header, not just the extreme right of the page header, which tends to steer me away from print margins as the culprit.

What I wound up doing this morning is re-creating the report from Square One, one piece at a time, previewing intermittently as I did so. I also made some changes in the group settings and associated headers/footers, because the ones in the original made no sense to me. I have 95% the same stuff in my clone now as in the original form, and praise be, no blank page so far. It's an incomplete success, though, because I'm not able to completely duplicate my client's work process at my own office, so I've asked him to run the entire sequence using my clone as the final destination, to see if he still gets blank pages with a full "real world" dataset. If not, I'll add in the last 5%, verify with him that everything is being displayed correctly, and life is good. If he still gets blanks, not so much.

It's frustrating, though, that I haven't been able to actually put my finger on the specific cause for the blank pages.

ssanfu is offline Master of Nothing
    Windows XP Access 2000
    It could be that the paged is too long..... But at least you have made progress.

It's frustrating, though, that I haven't been able to actually put my finger on the specific cause for the blank pages.
    I have had the same problems. I hate it when that happens.
    I like knowing what caused the problem(s)

boblarson is offline --------
    If you have a Force New Page set to After Section anywhere in there, it can cause an extra, blank page with headers.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.