A kinason is offline Novice
    Windows XP Access 2007

Calculating balances based on amounts in a table

i have a db whic permit to Admit students, receive fee (advance or tatal fee). Each student has a contract value which is stored in the table "Contract". this table comprises: ContractID, ContractValue and StudentID.

the amount that is paid by a student is stored in the table "Finace". Knowing that a student in a bit to complete the contract value can pay many times, i have a problem calculaing the balance automatically using Access.

So i want to be able to calculate the balance of student fee based on the contract value and the amount the sudent has already paid. Is this possilble in Access 2007?

June7 is online now VIP
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 32bit
    Use aggregate query to sum the payments by student, join the aggregate query to the Contract table, calculate difference between the advance and the sum of payments.

Another approach is to just do a join between the two tables and build report with Grouping and Sorting features and aggregate calcs in group section. This allows display of detail records as well as summary data.
    Last edited by June7; 05-09-2013 at 10:19 PM.
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

A kinason is offline Novice
    Windows XP Access 2007
    Thanks alot June7

I have used a crosstab query to get the sum of payments, then a simple query of the "crosstab query and the table Cotract" to have the balance. I hope this will have no future inconviniences?

June7 is online now VIP
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 32bit
    Building reports based on CROSSTAB query to run perpetually can be tricky because they can be so dynamic. If an expense has no costs for a report period then the textbox on report has no field to bind to.
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.