Eric1066 is offline Novice
    Windows XP Access 2007

How to have multiple users

Hi,

My db is almost complete, it is very simple but I would like more than one user on the network to access it and save to it.

Do I simply put the db on a network drive and have people access it this way or is there something more technical I need to do?

Thanks. Any Help greatly appreciated!!
    Eric1066

dcrake is offline Competent Performer
    Windows XP Access 2003
    For a start you need to split the database between front end and back end. Do a search on this first before you do anything.

David

Windows XP Access 2007
    thankyou so much for your reply, but I am afraid I have no idea what this means. I ran a search as you suggest and only found some very confusing information, I am complete noob at this! can you suggest a site which explains this in a disney like fashion. I appreicate your help!!

Windows XP Access 2003
    An Access database comprises of objects, Tables, queries, forms,Etc. In order for more than one person to use it in different locations you need to have a central place where every one has access to, this is normally a shared network server.

You first create one mdb that just contains the tables, nothing else This is known as the Front End. Then you create a second database that contains everything esle, the forms, queries, reports, macros, etc.

You then use the Link table manager to link the front end to the back end. Each front end is given to each user who installs it on their client side PCt/Workstation/Laptop.

Now when the user opens the application on their machine it reads the data form the server, then as they update it other users can see the changes automatically.

David

Windows XP Access 2007
    ok thx for this, one question though, you say that the tables db is the front end and the forms, queries etc... are the back end and it is the front end I install on users pc's, is this right? I ask because I though the data was held on the tables and thought that this must be the back end.

Windows XP Access 2003
    Dyslexia rules KO

You are right I got it the wrong way round for some reason, brain explosion.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.