DJMoore is offline Novice
    Windows XP Access 2000

New JPGs Not Displayed

I have an inventory data base that includes a picture for each item. It's been working fine.

Then I installed Irfanview to help me sort through the pictures. It took ownership of several image formats.

Now, although images already in the database display just fine, new JPG images just show their file names in the form, and "Package" appears in the field in question for new table entries.

I've done everything I can think of to tell Irfanview hands off. The IV icon no longer appears in folder listings. I've installed the Office 2003 Converter Pack, just to make sure the image drivers are there. I've even uninstalled Irfanview. (And, yes, closed and restarted Access after doing so.)

Still no good.

Oh, one more quirk? BMPs still work fine. PNGs are bad, though.

What now?

[update]I've been playing around a bit; a 300 pixel square image fits fine in my 3.125" form control as a JPG, but a BMP is a hair too large. I defined the control as 300px by 300px, and this was automatically converted to 3.15". I resized the BMP to 3"x3" in GIMP, which at 72.009 px/in works out to 225 x 225 (per GIMP). So, for whatever that's worth...

(Windows XP SP 3, Office 2000 v 9.0.2720)

Max D is offline Advanced Beginner
    Windows XP Access 2007
    I know this sort of problem well, and I can tell the core of it.

Open registry editor and take a look at HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.jpg
    It default value actually are the sort of association for this filetype. This string defines how OLE inserting are handled.

Usually its good, if you find some Microsoft Paint or Adobe Photoshop reference there.

By the way, try AccessImagine, while you havn't stuffed a lot of OLE objects in your database. Take a look at video here - http://access.bukrek.net/tutorial/action-video

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.