mike02 is offline Competent Performer
    Windows 7 32bit Access 2010 32bit

linking the back end to the front end

Hey, my databse is split. I have it linked properly on my pc, however, it wont run properly on other pcs as it tries to find the data (Backend) in my PC. how can I set it up to go to the folder without using my PC. All PCs will have a common folder set up. DropBox........Company......Database.......Company Back End. Is there a way to skip going to my pc, but start at the drop box folder ? Thanks,

redbull is offline Competent Performer
    Windows XP Access 2003
    Need a little more information.

The path you are using, its a dropbox folder... where is this folder located on everyone machine, is it under their user profile?

DoCmd.TransferDatabase acLink, "Microsoft Access", Environ("userprofile") & "\My Documents\MyApp\MyApp.mdb", acTable, "tblCred", "tblCred"

the code above is going to this... C:\Users\CURRENTUSERONMACHINE\ then \My docs etc etc... so that means, who ever is signed into the computer, it will look into the username of that person... it also helps with the differences between xp and windows 7 because their file system is a little bit different.

The code I use to make environ work in access is this.

Code:
    Public Function Environ(username)
    On Error GoTo Err_Environ

Environ = VBA.Environ(username)

Exit_Environ:
    Exit Function

Err_Environ:
    MsgBox Err.Number & " - " & Err.Description
    Resume Exit_Environ

End Function
    and
    Code:
    Public Function GetUser()
    GetUser = Environ("USERNAME")
    End Function
    Hopfully this helps

redbull is offline Competent Performer
    Windows XP Access 2003
    And I just read the title of your post... are you trying to link FROM the back end TO the front end?

Normally, you have the front ends link to the back end... because front ends can be anywhere, while the back end is pretty stationary.

mike02 is offline Competent Performer
    Windows 7 32bit Access 2010 32bit
    thanks for the reply! I am trying to link my front end to the back end. The bank end is in the dropbox file location. I have been using the ribbon to link it. so i click external data, linked table manager etc. select all tables, selct always promt. then select location. then i access the folder. All users of the database will have the same way of accessing the database. It is in a network folder. We use drop box. so under each persons PC, it will be in: USER - Dropbox - CompanyName(Folder) - Database(Folder) - Company Back End.accdb

amrut is offline Expert
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 32bit
    You have mentioned that the database is in the network folder. The back end in case of a split database is a single file to which all the front ends are linked.If you link the front end on your PC to this database in a network folder and replace the front end on other PCs with this copy of front end, you do not have to link them again.In the navigation pane, if you hover mouse over a table name, the path to the linked table is displayed.Check the path on your PC.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.