cbouley is offline Novice
    Windows Vista Access 2007

Path to ODBC Driver

Hi Everyone, I am very new to access was hoping for some help. At my place of business, we have upgraded our computer systems and I need to recreate a access report which pulls data from an SQL server.

The access file Queries all data on the server from the previous day. Problem is that the report was set up by a third party company and I cannot recreate the report since I cannot locate the ODBC driver with the link table manager on the server and the third party is no longer in business.

I have my old computer and can run the report on it, but without the path I cannot run report on new computer. Is there a way to somehow view the path to the ODBC driver on my old computer? Is the info hidden somewhere in the file whereas I can retrive it.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Driver.JPG 
Views:	11 
Size:	26.9 KB 
ID:	12003

On my old computer this data source was specified so the program runs, can I somehow view this location within the file?

Thanks in advance.

rpeare is offline VIP
    Windows XP Access 2003
    On the computer that the report still runs on look at your ODBC connections

(Control Panel > Administrative Tools > Data Sources (ODBC))

Look at both your FILE data sources and your MACHINE data sources, there should be one in there you recognize (if you try to run the report from the one that DOESN'T currently run it, the error message should give you the name of the ODBC connection that's not working). If you can't discern it you can go through each one of the ODBC connections listed until you find the one that connects to the SQL database you're interested in. Make sure you NAME the connection the exact same as it exists on the computer that currently works or when you're done making the new connection it won't work.

cbouley is offline Novice
    Windows Vista Access 2007
    Thanks kindly,

I can now located the driver. Unfortunately it lead to an even larger problem, there is a password to gain access and since the company is out of business there is no contact point.

rpeare is offline VIP
    Windows XP Access 2003
    if you go to your ODBC driver is it using NT authentication? if so it's using your windows user names/logins as it's logins so all you'd have to do to re-connect on your 'new' machine is to use the NT authentication as well. If it's NOT NT authentication, there should be a specific user listed in the ODBC connection. Just go to your SQL setup and look at your users, there should be a user with the same name as your odbc connection, find that user, change the password to something you know and you're back in business.

I have to suspect it's using NT authentication though because you are not being prompted for a user name/pw every time you run a report on your 'old' computer.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.