Matthieu is offline Advanced Beginner
    Windows XP Access 2007

Lightbulb Linking or Importing data from one database into another

My office is in the process of switching from Open Office Base to Microsoft Access on the computers. I manage a team of about 12 agents who enter in information into a form(currently in Base but shortly in Access) throughout the day. Each computer has it's own database right now. I then export the data from their database(daily) into an Excel spreadsheet and import that into Microsoft Access on my computer, which is what I run all of our reports off of. I'm wondering about some of the possible options of streamlining this sort of process once we have Access on all the computers. Basically, i'm looking for better ways for my team to input data and for that data to get to my database so I can run reports. What are some of the possible options with this number of agents? Are there good ways to link their databases with mine or set up forms that automatically enter data into my database? Any ideas would be appreciated! Thanks.

NTC is offline VIP
    Windows Vista Access 2007
    if you are all in one office on a shared LAN then you want to split the Access database; and put a Front End on each users desk top - and then link to the Back End tables. You will never have to export/import again. This is core Access management. Get a good Access book and read up on splitting the database and linking tables.

if you are not all together on the same LAN then look into the service from www.AccessTables.com

Windows XP Access 2007
    That is something that I had heard about but had not had a chance to look into more. Will that work with multiple users(10-12), all inputting data simultaneously? My only concern would be whether there would be issues with that amount of use. I have a fair amount of experience building forms, queries and reports, just haven't had opportunities to do much with linking databases or that sort of thing. Thanks for the idea!

NTC is offline VIP
    Windows Vista Access 2007
    It will work with multiple users(10-12), all inputting data simultaneously - no problemo. Split the db and put the FE on each user's PC. (follow the instructions of your Access book...) Access is used like this all the time. The one big error made is not putting an FE on each user's PC...do not put a single FE on the server and then shortcut everyone to it....that will cause corruption.....

Windows XP Access 2007
    Sounds good. I looked into splitting the database some more and did some tests that went well. Thanks for the help!

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.