cmcilip is offline Novice
    Windows 7 32bit Access 2010 32bit

Help creating a Pie Chart

Hello, I have browsed a few forums and am still having trouble creating a pie chart that has the proper layout that I would prefer.

I have created a query that will list the data I would like to organize into a pie chart. The query, when run, will prompt the user for a start date and an end date and then display the data in this form:

EmployeeX | SumofProject hours | SumofDemo Hours | SumofAdministration hours | SumofEtc hours (5 other categories of hours)
    EmployeeY | SumofProject hours | SumofDemo Hours | SumofAdministration hours | SumofEtc hours (5 other categories of hours)

OK, now that I have the data in this format I would like to create a report that includes tabs for each employee, each tab will have a pie chart that has one employee and a pie chart showing how their hours are allocated to each task. e.g. tab 1 would have Employee X and the pie chart would show what percentage of this employee's hours was dedicated to project/demo/admin/etc...

If anyone can help me set this up I would greatly appreciate it, currently when I am setting up a pie chart I have no idea how to specify that I only want the data to come from the field EmployeeX, on top of that I am not sure how to add more than one data series (i.e. the sum of projects and sum of demos etc...) Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks.

rpeare is offline VIP
    Windows XP Access 2003
    You can base your pie chart on the query you've written but limit it with criteria from your form. I wouldn't have a form with a tab for every employee, because you'd have to add and remove tabs every time you had employee turnover. Rather, I'd have a single form where you could select one employee then either have the chart print out or display on your form. Just keep in mind that if you are creating a chart every time you look at an employee you'll have to compact and repair your database fairly frequently as graphics tend to bloat access databases.

To carry the criteria of the employee (on your form) to the query driving your chart query you would have a criteria of:

forms!<formname>!<employee id field name> in your employee ID field of the query building the pie chart.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.