d_blan is offline Novice
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 32bit

Relationships, Enforce Referential Integrity, Cascade Update Related Fields

Hey there, I'm very new to Access and have only been at it for a few days now.

I'm doing a little Access Project for my class; editing a database of the members of a hypothetical school. I encountered a step where I had to create a one-to-many relationship between the school clubs table and the teachers table, and check off the "enforce referential integrity" and "cascade updates to related fields" options.

I tried to investigate myself but found no changes from before and after I made the relationship. Can someone explain to me what the options "enforce referential integrity" and "cascade updates to related fields" do?

I did the step, but I did it completely blind without understanding what I did.

orange is online now Moderator
    Windows XP Access 2003
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada; West Palm Beach FL

dniezby is offline Competent Performer
    Windows 8 Access 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by d_blan View Post
    Hey there, I'm very new to Access and have only been at it for a few days now.

I'm doing a little Access Project for my class; editing a database of the members of a hypothetical school. I encountered a step where I had to create a one-to-many relationship between the school clubs table and the teachers table, and check off the "enforce referential integrity" and "cascade updates to related fields" options.

I tried to investigate myself but found no changes from before and after I made the relationship. Can someone explain to me what the options "enforce referential integrity" and "cascade updates to related fields" do?

I did the step, but I did it completely blind without understanding what I did.
    Think of it this way. If you created a table for teachers and a second table to manage all the notes a teacher might need to write. What that does is keep both those tables updated. So if you delete a teacher from the table you would no longer need the teacher's notes. Updates and Deletes do just that to the linked table.

Delete a teacher's record, it deletes (or updates) the notes for that teacher.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.