melanemac is offline Novice
    Windows 8 Access 2010 64bit

Querying an Access Web Services Database

I have an Access Web Services database I have created with multiple tables and simple queries. I have another database that runs periodically that updates those tables. I am using an Excel spreadsheet and would like to query the information from the Web database directly into the Excel workbook, but I can't figure out how to connect to the tables and/or queries within the database. I can connect directly to Sharepoint Lists not contained in a web database, but since I can't access directly the ones in the web database I'm at a loss. Any help?

rpeare is offline VIP
    Windows XP Access 2003
    are both the excel spreadsheet and the access database stored in locations that can see one another? for instance could you link your excel spreadsheet into your access database (not saying you want to but it's a good test to see if your two files can talk to one another easily).

The second part is are you trying to update the excel spreadsheet from the MS access contents? if so can you not just export your information in full each time rather than trying to update individual cells?

They will be ideally be stored in Sharepoint, however there are chances that they may save a local copy of the spreadsheet.

On the second part, I'm hoping to have the data table update automatically each time the recipient opens the spreadsheet; due to timing, data may/may not have changed. I have another spreadsheet I do this in, but it is linking to a regular Sharepoint list, so "connecting" it wasn't difficult. Now, when I go to External data in the Excel document, I'm not sure exactly how I can connect.

rpeare is offline VIP
    Windows XP Access 2003
    You're losing me.

Are you:

A. Trying to export data from an Access DB to a spreadsheet
    B. Trying to import data from a spreadsheet into an Access DB
    C. Trying to export specific data to specific cells of an Excel spreadsheet
    D. Trying to import specific data from specific cells of an Excel spreadsheet

Probably closest to C.

I have a spreadsheet that has columns of data. All of that data is stored in a table in an Access Database. When the user opens the spreadsheet, the data queries back and updates automatically.

I am doing this successfully with data that is stored in a Sharepoint List. However, I can't figure out how to translate that and make it happen with data that is stored in an Access Web Services Database that is stored on Sharepoint. I know Excel can query data...just trying to figure out how to query the data that is sitting in an Access Web Services database.

rpeare is offline VIP
    Windows XP Access 2003
    So, you have a spreadsheet that is basically a representation of a table or query in a Web Services Database. The data is linked so you are performing all updates to your data through the Web Database and you want those changes to be reflected in your linked excel spreadsheet. Is the web services database stored locally (on one of your network drives) or is it hosted elsewhere?

It's stored on Sharepoint, as it's own site in our Intranet.

rpeare is offline VIP
    Windows XP Access 2003
    You're still not answering my question. Sorry I couldn't help.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.