dvgef2 is offline Novice
    Windows 8 Access 2013

Text Boxes Grow Horizontally

Hi everyone, Is it possible to grow a text box horizontally? I know there is a 'Can Grow' property but that seems to only work vertically. I have a report that puts names in the letter and since everyone's name is different lengths...it looks odd. Currently I have a long text box in the sentence and it is set to center the text but again, it looks amateurish and although I am actually below the amateur level, I was hoping I still could make it look a little better. Thanks for your time! Dave

rpeare is offline VIP
    Windows XP Access 2003
    There isn't an easy way that I know of to do what you want. However you can concantenate your names so that they appear as one field instead of multiple fields that you want to adjust the width on.

so let's say you have NAME1 and NAME2 in your long string of text use a TEXT BOX and have something like:

="Here is the main text of the final product and I am inserting the names " & name1 & ", " & name2 & " into a larger string so that it looks continuous and there are no ugly spaces left"

dvgef2 is offline Novice
    Windows 8 Access 2013
    Thanks for the reply Rpeare, I tried to do this but I must have been doing something wrong because I was getting some error. Anyway, I would think that it would not be hard for a computer to count each character in the name and adjust the sentence accordingly but I guess I expect too much from these machines sometimes. Thanks again for your response! Dave

June7 is offline VIP
    Windows XP Access 2010 32bit
    Show the expression you attempted.

Counting characters to calculate a width value is unreliable with proportional fonts. W is much wider than i. Concatenation is the simplest approach.
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

rpeare is offline VIP
    Windows XP Access 2003
    As june said you'll only get a reliable width calculation when you use specific fonts. Perhaps work on your concantenation syntax and if you have a problem with that re-post?

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.