The_Rattlesnake is offline Novice
    Windows Vista Access 2007

Three Questions on Data Entry Using Forms

Greetings,

I am a first time forum user and I have a few questions. Currently I am taking a class at a community college in indiana. The class I am taking is on building a system (database) and the project we have is of course making a database. I and my team are currently stuck on three points with our database. I asked my teacher if I can post for some help and he gave the nod in the affirmative. So these are my questions.

1) When using a combo box on the form and using it to manually enter data how can I get it to automatically fill in the rest of the data I am typing in.

Example: The information in the combo box that I want to call up is A00-11159 when I type into the combo box 'A00' how can I get the '11159' to show up automatically?

2) The form I use automatically writes system time information to one of two fields in the table it stores the record in. Now, depending on what is chosen in a certain combo box I want the system time information to go to a specific field. How do I do this?

Example: The form has the user enter line information, reason for down time, how long the line has been down and a line status. In the line status you have one of two choices up or down. This form is linked to the following table information A-MLT(Line ID, Reason, Downtime, Line Status, System Down Time, System Up Time)

Now, when you enter data the system time information will automatically write itself into the system down time and system up time fields. This is what I want. When you choose up from the line status combo box on the form I want the system time information to be written to the system up time field. When you choose down I want it to be written to the system down time field. How do I do this?

3) On the third form, a production report form, you have various options the two that im most concern with are line id and part id. line id and part id are columns found on the same table. line id represents the machine while part id represents the part that was made on the machine found in line id. Example, the Line ID value '2200-A' has made 15 parts which are found in part id. Now, what I want to do is when you choose a certain value in line id then the combo box will fill up with the corresponding values found in part id. Example, when you choose '2200-A' in LINE ID on the form then the PART ID combo box will fill up with the corresponding values found in the PART ID field

I hope I have made a great deal of sense. Any response and or help is greatly appreciated thank you

dcrake is offline Competent Performer
    Windows XP Access 2003
    Answers

Q1: Use the autofill property to get the combo to fill in as you type

Q2: If you are adding records to a table and want the system time to be recorded to time stamp an event then go to the design of the table and choose the properties of the time stamp field then in the default value enter =Time()

Q3: Do a search on Cascading Comboboxes for a more concise explanation.

David

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.