2013user is offline Novice
    Windows XP Access 2007

Group Report

I have a survey that contains 5 questions. For each question additional comments can be provided. I would like to create a reprort that groups the questions and responses together. Currently the report I have groups by person. ( I have only popluated two of the five questions on to the report which has been uploaded).
    Attached Files Attached Files

June7 is offline VIP
    Windows XP Access 2010 32bit
    Why do Communication and Timeliness fields have the same caption?

Why do the 5 memo fields have the same caption?

Survey data is not normalized. Cannot set grouping. Don't even have grouping by person. The report is simply displaying records sequentially in the record entry order.
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

2013user is offline Novice
    Windows XP Access 2007
    Great catch. I went in and updated the captions as such. How can I further normalize the data to report by question? I already have the list of persons in a seprate table.
    Attached Files Attached Files

June7 is offline VIP
    Normalized structure would be:

PersonID QuestionID Response Comment
    7 1 4
    7 2 4
    7 3 4
    7 4 4
    7 5 4
    21 1 4
    21 2 4
    21 3 4
    21 4 4 Wonderful services people here
    21 5 4 Absolutely

Now report can use the QuestionID field to do grouping.

A UNION query could rearrange the data into normalized structure. There is no wizard or designer for UNION, must type in SQL view.

SELECT PersonID, 1 AS QuestionID, Communication AS Response, CommunicationComments AS Comment FROM tbl_Survey
    UNION SELECT PersonID, 2, Timeliness, TimelinessComments FROM tbl_Survey
    UNION SELECT PersonID, 3, Pertinent, PertinentComments FROM tbl_Survey
    UNION SELECT PersonID, 4, Satisfaction, SatisfactionComments FROM tbl_Survey
    UNION SELECT PersonID, 5, Recommendation, RecommendationComments FROM tbl_Survey;
    Last edited by June7; 03-19-2013 at 02:47 PM.
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

workuser is offline Novice
    Windows XP Access 2003
    So essentially I do not need to create seperate tables for all the different fields? Brilliant. Is there anyway to also add the person's name in the report. I tried adding tbl_Person.FirstandLastName to each line but that does not work.

June7 is offline VIP
    Use the UNION query in another query that joins to tbl_Person. Then base report on that query.

Otherwise, each line of the UNION would have to be a join statement.

SELECT PersonID, FirstandLastName, 1 AS QuestionID, Communication AS Response, CommunicationComments AS Comment FROM tbl_Person RIGHT JOIN tbl_Survey ON tbl_Person.PersonID = tbl_Survey.ID
    UNION SELECT PersonID, FirstandLastName, 2, Timeliness, TimelinessComments FROM tbl_Survey INNER JOIN tbl_Survey ON tbl_Person.PersonID = tbl_Survey.ID

Since tbl_Survey has only key values for the responses, also need response table joined in.

Also need a table of the questions and join that table into the query or type each question as a value in the UNION:
    SELECT PersonID, FirstandLastName, 1 AS QuestionID, "Communication is disseminated in professional manner?" AS Question, ...

Can build SELECT query with query designer then copy/paste SQL statement into the UNION.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.