benthamq is offline Advanced Beginner
    Windows 7 32bit Access 2010 32bit

Back-end Hosting Options for Access?

Hello all,

I am nearing completion of an Access 2010 database that I have been working on for a long time. Ideally, I would like to split the DB and share it with multiple users at two or three different office locations (i.e. not on a local network, so a shared folder is not an option). My hope is to have the back-end securely hosted (somehow) and distribute my front-end application to my colleagues after having downloaded Access 2010 Runtime on each of their computers.

I cannot figure out what the best way to achieve this is. In fact, I honestly cannot even find one single option anywhere which can achieve this other than buying a server, which is unreasonably expensive/complicated for us at the present time. It seems to me like Office 365 could be option, but I cannot get a straight answer anywhere as to whether 365 can be used in conjunction with a "regular" Access database or if it must be a "web database" that is used with Access Services/Sharepoint. Most of Microsoft's help/explanations seem to indicate the latter, and since my DB is a "regular" database that is a real problem for me since it is not currently web compatible and would need serious structural changes to the tables to achieve that. I also don't need to run anything in a browser, which seems to be the main purpose of "web databases" such as I understand them.

I greatly appreciate any advice or help anyone can offer. Needless to say, after having spent so much effort developing this application and learning Access it would be deeply disappointing to arrive at a dead end now. Much thanks in advance.

June7 is offline VIP
    Windows XP Access 2010 32bit
    I have heard discussions of VPN (virtual private network) but never experienced. Some of the discussions included criticism that VPN connections can be unstable.
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

Rawb is offline Expert
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 32bit
    The main reason it's so hard to find anything on the subject is because Access is VERY unfriendly to "slow" networks (basically any internet connection).

If you're going to be using it across multiple physical locations, your best bet is to try putting the Tables on a public SQL server and then using an ADODB connection to connect to them.

Even then though, you're probably looking at slowdowns/lockups every time you try and access any of the Tables.

Depending on the level of integration you want between the locations, though, you could try my method: Set up your DB to export the changes to a file every time a Record is created, modified, or deleted. Then set up a couple of scripts that transfer those files back and forth across the different (local) servers every few minutes and import 'em to your local copy of the DB.

You'd only want to to do that on low-usage databases though.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.