kje7713 is offline Novice
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2007

Add Record Button Form

I need to create an add record button on a form that pulls in data for 3 fields from a table (tbl A) into another table (tbl B), where all other fields in tbl B stay blank. The intent is the user needs to be able to add a new record while inside a form, and then the form can scroll to the next record for additional data entry.

Fields tbl A
    LOG #
    Date
    Posted By

Fields tbl B
    LOG #
    Record #
    Date
    Posted By

Data Field 1
    etc

I currently am using an append table query that is executed through a macro by clicking a button. It creates a new entry in tbl B that has the same LOG #, as the record open in the form, but with a unique Record # (an autonumber field).

When I try to add an additional record I now get a squaring effect. Because there are two records with the same LOG # (as necessity) when executing the button again it creates 2 additional records, then 4, 8, 16, 32 etc.

Any help on how to have a button create one new row in a table and assigned specific data from tbl a into 3 fields, and leave the rest blank would be great. I assume there must be some VBA I could use in execute procedure for the button.

Thanks - Kevin

pbaldy is offline Who is John Galt?
    Windows XP Access 2007
    If the data would match the record on the form, you can add a criteria to your append query that points to the form.
    Paul (wino moderator)
    MS Access MVP 2007-2019
    www.BaldyWeb.com

kje7713 is offline Novice
    Yes, it does this already - but after it executes - two records then exist with the LOG# the same. The the form has two record open for the LOG#, and if you hit add record again, it creates 4 records - 2 records open, 2 records appended to tbl B results in 4 records with the same LOG #, when I only wanted 3.

pbaldy is offline Who is John Galt?
    Windows XP Access 2007
    I mean I would use whatever field uniquely identifies the record, so only one will ever get appended.
    Paul (wino moderator)
    MS Access MVP 2007-2019
    www.BaldyWeb.com

Missinglinq is offline VIP
    Richmond (Virginia, not North Yorkshire!)
    From what you've said, you should only have one Record with a given Log# in each of the Tables, but it sounds as if you're creating a duplicate Record in the original Form/Table as well as appending a Record to the second Table. Did you, perhaps, use the Command Button Wizard to create the 'add record button?'

Linq ;0)>
    The problem with making anything foolproof...is that fools are so darn ingenious!

All posts/responses based on Access 2003/2007

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.