komet122 is offline Novice
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 64bit

Question first attempt to build a database but need alot of help !

I am building a database that a employee can evaluate Group leaders and or Team Members or Team Leaders, I have bult the forms and built alot of tables but now I need to get it all together as a working solution. I really want this to be as automated as possible so the data collected is not scewed. as simple as the emploee who is evaluating puts in his or her ID number and name department shift auto fills. and the one getting evaluated they choose the name and that information is auto populated. I have read alot of access books over the last 3 weeks but grasping some of the stuff has been difficult. last data base I created was in Dbase3 (showing my age) my main trouble is the relationships between tables. any help would be great here is a sample of data the actual tables of people are 4000.
    Attached Files Attached Files

June7 is offline VIP
    Windows XP Access 2010 32bit
    Why two employee tables?

Are employees assigned as team leader and team members? Should not duplicate data. Don't save name, department, shift in all tables. Just save the GMIN. GMIN should be PK in employee table and FK in other tables.

What is the FWA table?

Similar named fields such as Safety1, Safety2, etc. is indication of non-normalized structure. If you add more questions, have to modify tables, queries, forms, reports.

Why is there a query in the Relationships builder?
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

komet122 is offline Novice
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 64bit
    Team Leaders are different classification FWA table Group Leaders management. The questions should never change. What would you recommend in the data tables in place of the saftey 1,2,3 ect.

June7 is offline VIP
    Windows XP Access 2010 32bit
    Team Leaders are different classification FWA table Group Leaders management.

Sorry, that makes no sense to me and doesn't alter my recommendation about the GMIN pk/fk.

What would you recommend in the data tables in place of the saftey 1,2,3 ect.

Conventional normalization would mean a child table for the evaluation comments:

tblEvaluations
    EvaluateeID
    EvaluatorID
    CommentID
    etc.

However, it is a balancing act between normalization and ease of data entry/output. Some statistical analysis could be more difficult with non-normalized data. Graphing probably would be more complicated. I have some non-normalized structure and to get graphs I have to create UNION queries to normalize the data.
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.