segnosaur is offline Novice
    Windows XP Access 2000

Corrupted Microsoft Access Database

Not sure if this fits under the 'security' or 'general' category...

Recently came across a very strange problem. Just wondering if anyone has heard of something similar, or knows a way around it.

Here at work, we have this small little application that uses a Microsoft Access database. It gets updated on a daily basis with an automated process, but usually we don't need to pay attention to it.

We never bothered to put a password on the database (since it wasn't a critical system, and MS Access security isn't that strong anyways.) However, we did set up access rights on the database to (hopefully) prevent tampering.

A few days ago, we noticed the application that updates the database started failing with an 'invalid password' message. Furthermore, we can't even open the database because we don't know the password (which, like I said, we never set up to begin with.) So, I figure there's 2 possibilities, either we're a victim of some sort of virus or hacker (which seems very strange), or more likely the database has somehow become corrupted.

Has anyone ever heard of such a problem before? (specifically, a corrupt database suddenly 'requiring' a password.) Anyone have any problems for fixing the problem? (We can't run 'repair/compact' because we don't have the password.)

Can anyone recommend any 3rd party tools to fix the problem, either by repairing the database , or for detecting the password? (I've seen various share-ware tools for detecting the password, but I'm not sure how good any of them are.)

dcrake is offline Competent Performer
    Windows XP Access 2003
    I have a password cracker that I could run on your mdb. I do not want to go public with it, for security reasons, however if you could send me the mdb I will see if I can open it for you. Obviously if the data is sensitive then that's ok but if I con't open it then I cand read it. Send me a PM with your details.

David

sampatrik is offline Novice
    Windows XP Access 2007
    Hi i have solution for both of your problems. i never face such a problem that corrupt access database is asking for password but i faced two distinct problem in one i lost access database password and in other my access database get corrupted. in first situation in used Stellar Phoenix Access Password recovery software and for other i used Stellar Phoenix Access Repair software. I successfully overcome from above problems. Try these, hope these will work for you.......

jackjohns is offline Novice
    Windows XP Access 2000

repair your access

Hi,

There are some Access database recovery tools that may be able to repair your Access database file. Below is a list of them:

http://www.datanumen.com/aar/compare.htm

Most of them provide a free demo so you can try first.

Alan

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.