franksun is offline Novice
    Windows XP Access 2003

Is this possible?

Sorry if this seems long winded but I was hoping for a little advice as to whether to proceed in Access or not. I am somewhat new to Access but I'm pretty decent at Excel (pivot tables, macros, etc)

My company has been running their machining schedule based off a somewhat complicated Excel program. The table looks like this:

Code:
    |Machine 1|Machine 2|Machine 3|Machine 4
              |Seq  Priority|Seq  Priority|Seq  Priority|Seq  Priority
     Job #1 |_3____5_|_2____2_||_1____1_|
    Job #2                     |_2____2_||_1____1_|
    Job #3   |_1____1_|
    Where priority is when the part is run on the machine and sequence is which machine the job has to run on first. Jobs do not run across all machines.

All in all it looks like a pivot table based on job number. However, pivot tables are uneditable (based on what I can find). It looks like I would need is a record just on the job info (not shown) and then records based on which machine and which sequence and tie it to the job #. The reason is so users will edit only specific records instead of trying to pull down the entire data set everytime they want to bump Job #2 in front of Job #1.

Displaying the above view has proven unfruitful (though I'm still figuring out if I can somehow get a query to work to show it all at once). The display is somewhat cruicial due to the "heads-up" display. I was hoping that I could get it into datasheet view but unfortunately we have 50+ machines so scrolling through it would be a nightmare.

My question is this: Is this something a form can do and I just need to understand Access more or am I barking up the wrong tree? Sorry for my ignorance in advance.
    Last edited by franksun; 10-27-2009 at 11:41 AM.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.