The Professor is offline Advanced Beginner
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 64bit

Goto Record Problem

I have two tables: Customers and Invoices, linked on a one-to-many relationship, using the unquie "CustomerID field. The Invoice table is displayed in a Subform on the Customer (parent) Form. The Invoice table also has it's own unquie key field, "InvNumber".

The challange I have is that on the Invoice Subform, I want to be able to goto the Record matching a user chosen InvNumber, which they can select from a dropdown list. But that invNumber may belong to a different customer than the one currently being dispalyed on the parent, Customer Form. So the problem I have is, how, from the Invoice Subform, do I change the record on the (parent) Customer Form (using the CustomerID field) and then change the record on the Invoice Subform (using the InvNumber key field). Which would be the best method to use? If anyone can help, I'd be grateful. Thanks.

alcapps is offline Competent Performer
    Windows 8 Access 2010 32bit
    usually you tie them together using the mater and child links in the subform object.

Hi,
    Thanks for your reply, but off the top of my head, I'm not sure what the mater and child links are, or where I'd find them - are they in property sheet?

go to the subform object. it has those properties..

Hi alcapps,

Thanks for your reply and I believe I now understand what you're saying - but the underlying tables are already fully and properly linked. The Master-Child relationship, if you will, is already set. As I mentioned in my first post they already have a one-to-many relationship, and this is working well for most purposes: one "CustomerID" can have many "InvNumbers" but of course not the other way round.

My problem is this, whilst active in the subform (Invoice table) how do I to change the current record to display a record (i.e. invoice) that doesn't belong (i.e. not related) to the current Customer in the Master Form? I'd have to first change that Customer record to display the Customer to whom the Invoice (that I want to disply in the subform) is related. I apologise if this is long-winded and confusing, but I'm trying to be as clear as I can about what I'm wanting to do. I want the user to be able to go to any Record based on the InvNumber field. But if that Invoice/Record is not related to the Customer Record curently being displayed in the Master/Parent Form, I have a tricky problem to solve - how do I change that Customer Record?

Thinking about it some more - should be looking to put some code in the After-Update Event of the combobox (on the subform) from which the user chooses the InvNumber? I'm wondering if the DoCmd.FindRecord method might work, I'm not too familiar with it - does it support the kind of search criteria I'll be needing?

Yes you could put a customer combo box in the header of the form then after update event change the form to point to that customer and requery the form and your subforms will be pointing to that customer.

I am currently pursuing this issue further in the Programming forum under the heading: "Code executing without error, but not working"

Prof.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.