cfgrs is offline Novice
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2000

Old database: Not accepting VBA Coding?

Hello,

I'm trying to modernize a rather old database (I think someone put this together around 2000, and we're still running Access 97.)

I'm not entirely certain that any of the buttons on forms and such have used "actual" code, I think they're all running on Macros.

Now, I'm just starting to try adding buttons that will use code, and even simply adding a button that would use: Msgbox ("Hi") gives me the error, "File not found: VBA6.DLL"

I've checked the references, and for "Visual Basic For Applications", which is checked, the path says "C:\WINNT\system32\MSVBVM60.DLL". I cannot uncheck it, or select the other "Visual Basic for Applications" which has a path to VBE6.DLL. I've also tried running Regsvr32.EXE "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\VBA\VBA6\VBE6.DLL", which is a common fix suggested, and it says that it executes the command correctly, but it doesn't fix my problem. When I create a brand new database, I am able to code just fine, but the References are now using "VBA332.DLL"

I can't get this database to even display a messagebox, nevermind do anything else in code. Any ideas?

RuralGuy is offline Administrator
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 32bit
    You may need to *import* the old db into a fresh new db so all of the references will update. Be sure and keep a protected backup of your db even though an import does not alter the source.

cfgrs is offline Novice
    Quote Originally Posted by RuralGuy View Post
    You may need to *import* the old db into a fresh new db so all of the references will update. Be sure and keep a protected backup of your db even though an import does not alter the source.
    Thank you for the suggestion, RuralGuy. The way the database is built, there are a lot of odd permissions and special queries/tables that are pulling data from other databases/sources, so it would be rather difficult to copy the database over. IS the actual problem with the fact that the database is referencing the MSVBVM file?

Thank you kindly.

No copying necessary, just an *import*: http://www.btabdevelopment.com/ts/impnew

cfgrs is offline Novice
    Unfortunately, the permissions do not allow you to import (told I do not have the priveleges.) Do you know what is preventing the use of VBA code/functions?

Quote Originally Posted by cfgrs View Post
    Do you know what is preventing the use of VBA code/functions?
    Not really. Is this *your* system? Is it Windows 7? Can you look at the permissions of these files?

cfgrs is offline Novice
    I am working on Windows XP, using Access 97. I am able to look at the security information on the file, with the list of users, if that's what you mean? I have an account, though it does not have administrator access.

Can you Run as Administrator?

cfgrs is offline Novice
    Is that the same as logging in as the administrator? I do not have the password for the administrator account. Honestly, I'm not sure whether anyone does, this database has been used for about 10 years and people have come and gone. Well due for an upgrade.

It does not need to be the Administrator account, just an account with administrative privelages. Do you have such an account?

If you hold down a <SHIFT> key and right click on a program or shortcut, you have the option of "Run As..."

alcapps is offline Competent Performer
    Windows 8 Access 2010 32bit
    Usually that means you're missing a reference

Go to a module and select tools, then references check if any say missing. If so correct it or remove the reference.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.